Test you engine

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kempelen

Test you engine

Post by Kempelen »

When you program and develop a new feature in your engine, how do you know it is a possitive one?

I mean, lets suppose you have a little possitional improvement of knowing when your king it is better placed in other square. How do you know is good enaught, and it is better than don't calculate it and improve in calculaton time???
I think in lot of examples. What I am asking for is a good way to measure my effors.
thx
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Test you engine

Post by hgm »

I always play a standard gauntlet of 480 games (Nunn matches against 24 opponents) to get a rough impression if a change works or not. Even then the improvement should be substantial, as the statistical error over 480 games is still 2%.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

hgm wrote:I always play a standard gauntlet of 480 games (Nunn matches against 24 opponents) to get a rough impression if a change works or not. Even then the improvement should be substantial, as the statistical error over 480 games is still 2%.
Hi,

At what time control do you run the gauntlet?

Thanks

Richard
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

That depends. I usually start with 40/1', to check if I have not broken anything, without wasting too much CPU time if I have. Eventually I do 40/10'.