Myopic, a new Creative Commons chess program

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Re: Myopic, a new Creative Commons chess program

Post by mvanthoor »

Guenther wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:46 am Hi Marcel, I regret to tell you that replied to a very old original post and the well-known author of Myopic (which was just a little side project),
beneath his long time later work on 'Symbolic', already died in 2016 :(
:shock:

*Triple Facepalm*

Supersharp77 kicked this topic, and I didn't see that it was an old one. I didn't make the connection between "sje" and "Stephen J Edwards" because I didn't remember the author of the Myopic I knew on top of my head.

So sorry about this. Condolences to everyone who knew him.

Supersharp77: Please don't kick 4-10 year old topics for no reason. Thanks.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

mvanthoor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 am Hi :) I hope everything's better now. Congrats on writing the engine.

Does it have anything to do with this engine also called Myopic? ( https://www.chessprogramming.org/Myopic ) I know I read or heard the name somewhere before. If it doesn't, you might want to change the name, or differentiate it somehow, to avoid confusion.
That is where the confusion arises....there are 2 different 'Myopics' neither of which I have been able to track down a windows exe for...Dann C. thinks he may have a copy of the original Myopic in a old hardrive somewhere...otherwise details are hard to come by...there is a "Myopic for Mac"....perhaps that is the new one...AR :) :wink:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

There is only one Myopic, it was written by Steven J Edwards.
The Mac version is not hard to find and it includes the source code.
I guess to create the PC version all you would need to do is compile.
I have built Myopic, years ago, so it cannot be very difficult.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.