Visual C

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Visual C

Post by Don »

Does anyone here have experience with the Microsoft visual C++ 2010 express compiler?

I am primarily interested in 64 bit binaries and see this on the wikipedia:

Code: Select all

f the freely available full version of the Windows SDK is installed, 64-bit applications can be built on the command line using the x64 cross-compiler (Cl.exe) supplied with the SDK.
I don't know if this is a totally separate thing or somehow part of visual C++ express.

I don't care if this is command line or IDE, my only concern is the performance of the binaries. Does anyone have experience with these tools who can comment on that?

The price for the Intel compiler is pretty steep for me and thus I am looking for an alternative that will not sacrifice too much performance. The Linux mingw64 cross compiler I use seems to give up a LOT of performance. The Linux gcc version of the same source code on the same computer is significantly faster.
bob

Re: Visual C

Post by bob »

Don wrote:Does anyone here have experience with the Microsoft visual C++ 2010 express compiler?

f the freely available full version of the Windows SDK is installed, 64-bit applications can be built on the command line using the x64 cross-compiler (Cl.exe) supplied with the SDK.
I don't know if this is a totally separate thing or somehow part of visual C++ express.

I don't care if this is command line or IDE, my only concern is the performance of the binaries. Does anyone have experience with these tools who can comment on that?

The price for the Intel compiler is pretty steep for me and thus I am looking for an alternative that will not sacrifice too much performance. The Linux mingw64 cross compiler I use seems to give up a LOT of performance. The Linux gcc version of the same source code on the same computer is significantly faster.
Do you use intel compiler on linux? That's free...
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

Don wrote:Does anyone here have experience with the Microsoft visual C++ 2010 express compiler?

Don, I have a VM with Windows 7 and am using mingw64 native (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/) to make my builds - instead of using the cross-compiler on Linux. The builds created with this native toolchain and using PGO are as fast as the ones compiled with MSVC. Don't ask me why though... :)

I am using this one specifically with eclipse as the IDE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w ... p/download

Regards,
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

bob wrote: Do you use intel compiler on linux? That's free...
Does intel linux cross-compile binaries to windows platforms?
bob

Post by bob »

bhlangonijr wrote:
No. Who would want to do that when they are working on a perfectly good linux system in the first place. :)
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

bob wrote:
bhlangonijr wrote:
No. Who would want to do that when they are working on a perfectly good linux system in the first place. :)
I agree 100%. But it seems 95% of people in the world think otherwise. We need to live with it. :)
bob

Post by bob »

bhlangonijr wrote:
bob wrote:
bhlangonijr wrote:
I agree 100%. But it seems 95% of people in the world think otherwise. We need to live with it. :)
I know. In the case of the Intel compiler, it is free for personal use. If you intend to compile and distribute the executable for sale, it is not free. So it would first matter how it is to be used. For development, it is perfect. For personal use, it is perfect. Anything else requires a purchase...

but it is a _very_ good compiler. Better than gcc or MSVC, so long as you don't run on AMD. If so, use gcc.
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

bob wrote:
I know. In the case of the Intel compiler, it is free for personal use. If you intend to compile and distribute the executable for sale, it is not free. So it would first matter how it is to be used. For development, it is perfect. For personal use, it is perfect. Anything else requires a purchase...

but it is a _very_ good compiler. Better than gcc or MSVC, so long as you don't run on AMD. If so, use gcc.
Bob, I am not sure if gcc builds are faster than those compiled with intel, but nowadays gcc on Linux 64 bit is very good. It is free & open source so I gonna stick to it even at cost of some performance. Have you tried gcc on linux 64 bit environment lately?
Last edited by bhlangonijr on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Don wrote: I don't care if this is command line or IDE, my only concern is the performance of the binaries. Does anyone have experience with these tools who can comment on that?
I use this routinely on my QUAD, speed seems good although I am not interested in speed for internal testing.

I don't remember how to setup the 64 bit environment but I remember it was not difficult, just download SDK and follow the instructions...
bob

Post by bob »

bhlangonijr wrote:
bob wrote:

Bob, I am not sure if gcc builds are faster than those compiled with intel, but nowadays gcc on Linux 64 bit is very good. It is free & open source so I gonna stick to it even at cost of some performance. Have you tried gcc on linux 64 bit environment lately?
yes. All the time in fact as some of our machines don't have ICC installed and just to run a quick test, it is not worth the hassle to copy everything over.

GCC (for me) is still unreliable. USING PGO on a threaded application consistently fails every time I try it. I compile, run the test set, and then when I recompile, it gripes about the profile output file(s) being corrupted... ICC works flawlessly.