Alice: A reintroduction

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

SvenR

Alice: A reintroduction

Post by SvenR »

Hey guys,

it's been a while. I used to be quite active on CCC a long time ago. Back then I was developing a simple engine called Alice. It's amusing that early versions of that program still appear in some engine competitions, mostly losing on time and behaving badly in general :oops:

Anyway, I've embarked on a rewrite, hoping I've learned a few things in my previous attempt. In particular I'll be focusing on search efficiency, something I have neglected so far. I'll be using g++ and 64-bit Linux. If there's interest I'll post updates and results.

Cheers,
Sven.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Alice: A reintroduction

Post by JuLieN »

Welcome back, Svein! :)

I remember my engine Prédateur found its first deep mate against Alice, in this position that I now use to check that nothing is broken (it now needs less than 4k nodes to solve it) :

[d]rnbqkbnr/pppp1Np1/4ppB1/4P2p/1P6/2N2Q2/PBPP1PPP/R4RK1 w - - 4 14
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Hi Sven

As a linux user I'm interested in (almost) any engine that can run in this platform.

Can you provide a link to your project? (I've made a search on the web but I haven't been able to find anything useful).

Anyway, I'd be interested in the develop of this project

Best

E Diaz
Olivier Deville

Post by Olivier Deville »

SvenR wrote:Hey guys,

it's been a while. I used to be quite active on CCC a long time ago. Back then I was developing a simple engine called Alice. It's amusing that early versions of that program still appear in some engine competitions, mostly losing on time and behaving badly in general :oops:

Anyway, I've embarked on a rewrite, hoping I've learned a few things in my previous attempt. In particular I'll be focusing on search efficiency, something I have neglected so far. I'll be using g++ and 64-bit Linux. If there's interest I'll post updates and results.

Cheers,
Sven.
Hi Sven, and welcome back :)

The old Alice is still playing here (see my H group that will start in September). If you have something ready by then, be sure to send it to me :wink:

Olivier
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

It's always cool to see a new version of a golden oldie like Alice. Really neat to see the new UCI version of Ziggurat too, played a lot of games with that program back in the Windows 3.1 days.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

pocopito wrote:As a linux user I'm interested in (almost) any engine that can run in this platform.
Especially for you, then:

A Linux version of Joker 1.1.14j
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

hgm wrote:
pocopito wrote:As a linux user I'm interested in (almost) any engine that can run in this platform.
Especially for you, then:

A Linux version of Joker 1.1.14j
Sweet! I collect any and all engines as well. Especially linux ones.