Apple is dropping X11 in upcoming OS X 10.8

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Apple is dropping X11 in upcoming OS X 10.8

Post by sje »

Apple is dropping support for X11 in their upcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion release. Replacing X11 will be the open source project XQuartz. (Quartz is the name of the underlying graphics engine in OS X.)

I'm sure that this will affect Xboard, and likely not in a good way.

My main machine, now in its sixth year, cannot be upgraded tn OS X 10.8 as the firmware only supports a 32 bit kernel and 10.8 requires booting into 64 bit mode. Several other models will also be left behind even though they are only three years old and have dual core (or better) 64 bit Intel CPUs.

This is all part of Apple's philosophy: "We're your friend as long as you buy a new machine every two years". Bastards.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Apple is dropping X11 in upcoming OS X 10.8

Post by hgm »

Well, we soon might have a native Cocoa port of it, called OSXBoard. So who cares...
Evert

Post by Evert »

sje wrote:Apple is dropping support for X11 in their upcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion release. Replacing X11 will be the open source project XQuartz. (Quartz is the name of the underlying graphics engine in OS X.)
The XQuartz webpage (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki) states that it is already the default X11 server on OS X, so as far as I can tell nothing will change...?
I'm sure that this will affect Xboard, and likely not in a good way.
Why? One X server should be as good as another, right?
My main machine, now in its sixth year, cannot be upgraded tn OS X 10.8 as the firmware only supports a 32 bit kernel and 10.8 requires booting into 64 bit mode. Several other models will also be left behind even though they are only three years old and have dual core (or better) 64 bit Intel CPUs.
It seems you require 64 bit and OpenCL capable.
My laptop should be fine, but I'm not planning to upgrade in a hurry. I have one PPC application that I bought as a student (actually, I bought the Linux version, but the Mac version was on the same CD), I don't use it often but I do find it useful. Sure, I could fork out the cash to buy an ugraded version, but it has no value for me other than running on newer versions of OS X.

Either way, I think I will start looking into ways of accessing my DRM encrypted media when the time comes to replace my laptop since it looks like the eventual replacement will run Linux...
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

hgm wrote:Well, we soon might have a native Cocoa port of it, called OSXBoard. So who cares...
I am very much looking forward to this :).

-Sam
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

BubbaTough wrote:
hgm wrote:Well, we soon might have a native Cocoa port of it, called OSXBoard. So who cares...
I am very much looking forward to this :).

-Sam
Me too :D
sje

Apple's Stairway to Feature Perdition

Post by sje »

Apple's Stairway to Feature Perdition:
  • Top step: Stop promoting a doomed feature in advertising.
    Next step down: Stop updating the doomed feature.
    Next step down: Stop including the doomed feature as part of a standard OS installation.
    Next step down: Stop allowing the doomed feature in the newest OS version.
    Next step down: Make a new OS version mandatory for continued iGadget use.
    Bottom step: Stop all support of any OS version that allowed the use the doomed feature.
This has happened with the Classic environment. It has also happened to the Rosetta PowerPC emulator. It is in the process of happening to the ".Mac" services, and now also with X Windows. There are a number of hardware examples as well.

As I've written before, Apple is your friend only if you bought new stuff from them in the last two years.

Thankfully, we have Linux.
stevenaaus

Re: Apple's Stairway to Feature Perdition

Post by stevenaaus »

Yes - you're right. ... But it's such a delicious thing. :P
sje

Even worse

Post by sje »

Even worse than dropping features, Apple is now taking the Mac application development environment into the same "walled garden" as is already used for iPhone/iPad development. This means that if you want to program on the Mac, you must first cough up US$99 per year, agree to a bunch of terms, and give Apple final approval rights for any code you make. This is part of the new Gate Keeper OS feature which now warns about (and will later forbid) any application which wasn't cryptographically signed by Apple.

Apple will also have the power to remotely deactivate any program, too. And the history of the iPhone/iPad development scene is that Apple will pull an application merely because some third party has a complaint or two. Apple can also deactivate any program that brings in any kind of post-purchase revenue but doesn't give up 30% of the gross to Apple.

To hell with that crap!

Again, let's all be thankful for Linux.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: Even worse

Post by lucasart »

sje wrote:Even worse than dropping features, Apple is now taking the Mac application development environment into the same "walled garden" as is already used for iPhone/iPad development. This means that if you want to program on the Mac, you must first cough up US$99 per year, agree to a bunch of terms, and give Apple final approval rights for any code you make. This is part of the new Gate Keeper OS feature which now warns about (and will later forbid) any application which wasn't cryptographically signed by Apple.

Apple will also have the power to remotely deactivate any program, too. And the history of the iPhone/iPad development scene is that Apple will pull an application merely because some third party has a complaint or two. Apple can also deactivate any program that brings in any kind of post-purchase revenue but doesn't give up 30% of the gross to Apple.

To hell with that crap!

+1

solution: boycott all Apple products and use a free GNU/Linux system :D
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Even worse

Post by phhnguyen »

lucasart wrote:
sje wrote:Even worse than dropping features, Apple is now taking the Mac application development environment into the same "walled garden" as is already used for iPhone/iPad development. This means that if you want to program on the Mac, you must first cough up US$99 per year, agree to a bunch of terms, and give Apple final approval rights for any code you make. This is part of the new Gate Keeper OS feature which now warns about (and will later forbid) any application which wasn't cryptographically signed by Apple.

To hell with that crap!

+1

solution: boycott all Apple products and use a free GNU/Linux system :D
Some may agree if he
- can find and install all drivers
- does not like Mac-linux
- does not addict to Mac

Easy say than done ;)