xboard time control settings

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

frankp

xboard time control settings

Post by frankp »

Is there a way of setting xboard to do standard weekend tournament time controls as in,

N moves in T minutes then after N moves + T1 minutes for the rest of the game?
(e.g. 40 moves in 2hours then after 40 moves add 20 minutes to the clock for the remainder of the game)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: xboard time control settings

Post by hgm »

No, XBoard does not support multi-session time controls yet. The problem is that WB protocol does not provide a command to tell the engine this. So the only way to implement it, would be to send a new level command to the engine when a new session starts, with different parameters, in the hope that the engine will understand this. But it is not defined in the protocol specs what such an intra-game levekll command means, so there is no guarantee the engine will understand it. It could go completely crazy, or just ignore it.

Of course I could make sure Polyglot would understand it, so that at least all UCI engines could be run in this mode.

XBoard itself is already prepared for multi-session; I think that when you would use options

-mps 40 -tc "30+20/5+5"

it would manage the clocks as 40/30+20/5+5 (i.e. first session of 40 moves in 30 min, then then 5 min added to the clock until move 60, then the rest of the game in 5 min). But the engine would not understand that the time it has after move 40 is intended for 20 moves rather than 40. That would require re-sending of a level command.