gamma ray bursts

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Should this behaviour be allowed

Poll ended at Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:06 pm

yes
73%
no
27%

Total votes: 11

Henk

Re: gamma ray bursts

Post by Henk »

Is it possible to split the topics in categories:

topics for developing 0 .. 1500 ELO chess programs
topics for developing 1500 .. 2500 ELO chess programs
topics for developing 2500 .. 3500 ELO chess programs

Developers of one category may not be interested on topics for another category.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Henk wrote:Is it possible to split the topics in categories:

Developers of one category may not be interested on topics for another category.
The problem does not come from genuine developpers. It comes from Trolls. More often than not these trolls don not produce anything, except writing nonsense or provocation, which incitates people to answer and the trolling goes on inexorably...

Besides, how do you decide who has the right to post in which forum? Realistically you would have to be politically correct and please everyone, which means that anyone can post in any forum, and the trolls are going to continue trolling. Also, some trolls really think they have something intelligent to say, so they can't stop trolling: they don't even realize it! You would have to rely on the Trolls to auto-censor themselves and not spam the forums where they don't belong: clearly that cannot work.

What I think is a much better solution is to update the software of this forum and use the same one as Open Chess, which is much superior. In particular, each user can maintain create a black list of people whose posts they do not even want to see. If only I could do that here, it would make browsing this forum a much more enjoyable experience. In the meantime, the trolls are happy, and they are happilly trolling (not knowing that no one is reading their posts anyway).
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

lucasart wrote:
Henk wrote:Is it possible to split the topics in categories:

The problem does not come from genuine developpers. It comes from Trolls. More often than not these trolls don not produce anything, except writing nonsense or provocation, which incitates people to answer and the trolling goes on inexorably...

Besides, how do you decide who has the right to post in which forum? Realistically you would have to be politically correct and please everyone, which means that anyone can post in any forum, and the trolls are going to continue trolling. Also, some trolls really think they have something intelligent to say, so they can't stop trolling: they don't even realize it! You would have to rely on the Trolls to auto-censor themselves and not spam the forums where they don't belong: clearly that cannot work.

What I think is a much better solution is to update the software of this forum and use the same one as Open Chess, which is much superior. In particular, each user can maintain create a black list of people whose posts they do not even want to see. If only I could do that here, it would make browsing this forum a much more enjoyable experience. In the meantime, the trolls are happy, and they are happilly trolling (not knowing that no one is reading their posts anyway).
+1!!

Why isn't the forum software updated? There was a poll about a year ago and the vast majority wanted it to be updated. If I remember correctly it was about 75% - if that's not a mandate then I don't know what is?

Best regards,

Steve
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Post by emadsen »

I believe anyone should be allowed to ask a programming question. If the question is unclear, or reveals a serious misunderstanding, simply...

A. Ignore the question
B. Respond with a question

I don't see a problem here. Simply calibrate the technical content / strident opinions in your response to the level of effort demonstrated by the person asking the question. Don't let people wind you up.

Ask yourself: Are you answering a question or demonstrating your superiority?
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net