Syzygy EGTB's via Torrent Thread

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

Re: Syzygy EGTB's via Torrent Thread

Post by Ozymandias »

Pretty much the same here, finished a couple of days ago. Will be back seeding as soon as that PC gets some action, I still haven't fulfilled my promise of exceeding the 1:1 ratio. (You must have some serious upload to get to 6).
RJN

Post by RJN »

Unfortunately, I had to stop seeding for now. My entire BitTorrent download directory with the Syzygy bases seems to have some serious issues. Just trying to access the folder causes a lockup, and chkdsk hangs (I assume when it gets to that part of the drive). I might need to do a backup, reformat, and restore of a 3TB drive, ugh. The rest of the drive seems OK, just the BitTorrent download path has the problem, but I'm now a bit suspicious of relying on that drive for anything serious. Probably going to buy another drive now, just in case.

Luckily, I made a backup of the Syzygy bases, but I don't like to keep that external drive connected all the time, as it's my isolated backup.

I don't think I seeded any corrupted files, since I can't even open the folder, and BitTorrent won't either, but people might want to do a double check, just in case.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Have you tried a data recovery program?
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

RJN wrote: I don't think I seeded any corrupted files, since I can't even open the folder, and BitTorrent won't either, but people might want to do a double check, just in case.
Very sorry to hear about your main drive but glad you at least have a clean backup.

BTW don't worry about pushing bad data on the torrent network. Yet another thing I'm starting to love about this means of communication is that it is error proof... or rather "error correcting"...

Say you have the bulk of the dataset, but experience even a minor hard drive glitch, and push a 32k slice to others...

It's all checked for accuracy, if it doesn't meet the criteria it's lost. Actually reading earlier threads believe this was an issue that came up... because someone had an issue be it hd or not, and were seeding bad chunks... and the client was smart enough to "ban" or temporarily ignore that non-pure source.

Side note: I've read and enjoyed bittorrent over the years probably like many people. As an "end user" it's nice to "get what we want when we want it". So as an admin, given that realm it's really no different than just pushing a file to a webserver and hoping it doesnt get overloaded.

But with bittorrent! OMG. An early leecher PM'd me commenting how it's nice but to make a real dent, he really wanted 2megs or more. In response I said I felt 2 megs was within realm and I was being positive. I would NEVER estimate the 12-18meg shares amongst our group.

Even now, after the first wave of WDL came and went... and others went on to hit the DTZ bigger group.... we hit at the LOWEST 2 megs a second, and reason I post this now, we are back up to 12megs!

This is REALLY a community helping the community. Sorry to be cheesy, but it warms my heart! Just so greatful for Ronald for making it, and every extra $ I spent for my i7 to generate it was well worth it.

Side note... Holy COW!! Right now 73 people have downloaded the 3-4-5 set. I never checked my "web logs" but JUST from the torrent 73! I couldn't imagine. This is really stretching beyond just use developer, but perhaps users as well or at least higher ended users.

I plan to keep OICS alive as long as I'm alive and can afford a home lol, honestly it's only $20 a month via linode.. for that I get not only OICS, but the torrent site... and "lol a mumble server for my Team Fortress 2 buddies" lol..

And soon... hoping to run CGOS but that is another story, in another thread, on another server.

Keep downloading, keep seeding, and God bless TY very much for making this worthwhile and needed, if only "wanted" it makes me truly happy. This is a success and it's only the beginning.

-Josh
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I'm downloading them, but the best speed I've seen is about 800 KB/s. This is going to take a long time.
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

http://www.mediafire.com/?096x96lc777lzy9

I would be happy to see 800kB/s
I'am already a few days busy with only a few kB/s between 7 & 30kB/s
First days downloading dtz i get sometimes a few 100kB/s

But like this it will take weeks or month..?
My internet provider can handle 120Mb/s

Ahh see 65kB/s now.. :)

PS. the picture link..click just on view ,it's very small in size to open it!
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Oh.... so I'm doing OK then :)

800 is peak, 400-500 is typically where it sits

I have a 60 meg download connection, but of course I never anticipated getting anywhere near that. That would require a lot of seeders with a fast upload. But I'd hoped to get better than 400-500k average. Oh well, I guess it will take about a week to get wdl and dtz.
RJN

Post by RJN »

Two week anniversary!

PS: Joshua, it was not my "primary" drive, just an external one. No worries though, I am seeding again (when I can), and it gave me an excuse to purchase another HDD, which I was going to need soon anyway. I also understand that the torrent has error correction, but it never hurts to check after a download is done.

Latest torrent statistics: 5797.38 GB 23.85 MB/sec
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I got mine in the end. The KB/s increased to between 2,000 and 3,000 for long periods. But it kept killing the wireless internet connection on the PC, forcing me to re-boot. So I'm not sure I can help seeding these, let's see.
RJN

Post by RJN »

Modern Times wrote:I got mine in the end. The KB/s increased to between 2,000 and 3,000 for long periods. But it kept killing the wireless internet connection on the PC, forcing me to re-boot. So I'm not sure I can help seeding these, let's see.
Maybe try to limit your bandwidth to something like half your maximum, for example 1500KB/s. Look in the preferences menu of your torrent client, under bandwidth settings, and make sure it's not at 0, which is unlimited.