windows crash report help

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

elcabesa

windows crash report help

Post by elcabesa »

Hello to everyone.
I'm trying to debug my multithread program created with mingw on windows. it regularly crashes during a game with cutechess-cli but I wasn't able to reproduce the crash launching the program from the shell.
How can I make the program create a crash report with stack call on crash?
windows popup the crash reporter but it doesn't give me any information

thank you all
xmas79

Re: windows crash report help

Post by xmas79 »

Is this crash happening when playing with cutechess-cli only? Does it crash when playing within a GUI?
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

I only tested with ctechess cli, but I think it's my program fault that come out sometimes with multithreading.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

elcabesa wrote:I only tested with ctechess cli, but I think it's my program fault that come out sometimes with multithreading.
Which version of cutechess? For 0.60 it is normal to crash on Windows under certain conditions. You should try 0.50 to be sure.

Guenther
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

i have an old and stable cute chess cli.
what is crashing is my engine. :)

I need a way to debug it while running it under cutechesscli or simply to get a bug report, crash report after a crash.

I tried enabling all the assert code but up to now I have lots of crash without any asert output.
xmas79

Post by xmas79 »

Are you running your engine in debug mode? If you are running in cutechess-cli probably want a "release" compile for performance reasons... In release mode every assert is removed. If you are in debug mode then you have missed some "basic" assert.

When you have a debugger properly installed (and recognized by windows, eg VS) usually on a crash it will ask you if you want to debug the crashed program. Don't know with other debuggers.
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

thank you natale
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

I have another information. I tried the program in arena and everitime it crashes it reported me

2014-05-22 23:01:07.626<--1:terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'

any idea?
xmas79

Post by xmas79 »

My crystal ball sees that you have a stack overflow problem. Too much space allocated on the stack? Maybe in a recursive function?

Have no other ideas at the moment...