Crafty 24.0

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

velmarin

Re: Crafty 24.0

Post by velmarin »

bob wrote:
Mr. Robert, it does exactly, pause(),
I had to remove it so that I compile with Intel.

Moreover if other users make few CPUs, 4,8,16, is indistinct.
Thanks.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Peter Skinner wrote: I've just uploaded new compiles for you to try, and I've tested them on my older Phenom II x4 system. They work there, so I don't see why they shouldn't work on yours.

Peter
I have two Phenom II X6 machines, one with W7 and the other with W8.1, and no the new compiles don't work either, assuming the new compiles are the ones I actually got. Still just two exex in the zip file ?

The error is:

Please verify that both the operating system and the processor support Intel(R) X87, CMOV, MMX, FXSAVE, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 instructions.

Doesn't matter, apart from maybe running it on HG's ICS from time to time, it isn't important.

With Crafty 23.8 I had no problems at all. Are you using different compiler, or different compiler options ?
bob

Post by bob »

Modern Times wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: I've just uploaded new compiles for you to try, and I've tested them on my older Phenom II x4 system. They work there, so I don't see why they shouldn't work on yours.

Peter
I have two Phenom II X6 machines, one with W7 and the other with W8.1, and no the new compiles don't work either, assuming the new compiles are the ones I actually got. Still just two exex in the zip file ?

The error is:

Please verify that both the operating system and the processor support Intel(R) X87, CMOV, MMX, FXSAVE, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 instructions.

Doesn't matter, apart from maybe running it on HG's ICS from time to time, it isn't important.

With Crafty 23.8 I had no problems at all. Are you using different compiler, or different compiler options ?
Crafty has changed a LOT. Particularly with all the old spaghetti-code for various O/S/hardware-configs pretty much gone (it now works for unix or windows, period, although "unix" includes linux, solaris, mac os x and such). The message certainly makes it sound like Peter's executable includes instructions your CPU doesn't recognize...
bob

Post by bob »

velmarin wrote:
bob wrote:
Mr. Robert, it does exactly, pause(),
I had to remove it so that I compile with Intel.

Moreover if other users make few CPUs, 4,8,16, is indistinct.
Thanks.
I am not sure what you mean by "pause()" and "4, 8, 16 is indistinct"??
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

bob wrote: Crafty has changed a LOT. Particularly with all the old spaghetti-code for various O/S/hardware-configs pretty much gone (it now works for unix or windows, period, although "unix" includes linux, solaris, mac os x and such). The message certainly makes it sound like Peter's executable includes instructions your CPU doesn't recognize...
It is odd, because I'm sure it does support all those. I'm not convinced that the download includes the updated compiles. Peter can advise.

His first compiles run fine on my Intel Sandybridge laptop though.
RJN

Post by RJN »

Thanks for the new Crafty. Is Nalimov EGTB still supported? For some reason v24.0 is not showing any TB usage, even if I use the crafty.rc file that works fine with v23.6. (this is with the Win64 SSE4.2 compile)

Update: seems my path is not going through:

RC file:

mt=2
hash=1024M
hashp=128M
egtb
tbpath=C:\TB\Hyatt
#,C:\33,C:\42,G:\33pawns,G:\42pawns
cache=1024M
ponder=off
smpnice=1
log=off
computer
swindle=on
exit

Log File from Arena:

2014-05-28 16:29:02.726<--1:EGTB access enabled
2014-05-28 16:29:02.746<--1:using tbpath=./TB
2014-05-28 16:29:02.786<--1:0 piece tablebase files found
2014-05-28 16:29:02.806<--1:EGTB cache memory = 512M bytes.
2014-05-28 16:29:02.807<--1:pondering disabled.
Last edited by RJN on Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob

Post by bob »

RJN wrote:Thanks for the new Crafty. Is Nalimov EGTB still supported? For some reason v24.0 is not showing any TB usage, even if I use the crafty.rc file that works fine with v23.6.
Depends on how it is compiled. It would normally use EGTBs just fine unless it is compiled with -DNOEGTB, which I doubt peter would do. You can always check a couple of things.

1. You need something in the crafty.rc/.craftyrc file to tell it to use EGTBs. Either the path or cache or else just the "egtb" command which will wake it up and get things going.

2. You can start crafty in a command prompt window and see if it reports the usual:

White(1): egtb
EGTB access enabled
using tbpath=./TB
5 piece tablebase files found
14010kb of RAM used for TB indices and decompression tables

(I just typed egtb in Crafty to get the above, if you put it in your crafty.rc file it will be seen right at the top of the output...
RJN

Post by RJN »

Problem solved, Crafty was using the rc file in the local exe run directory, not the one I had told Arena to use in the engine settings.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Modern Times wrote:
bob wrote: Crafty has changed a LOT. Particularly with all the old spaghetti-code for various O/S/hardware-configs pretty much gone (it now works for unix or windows, period, although "unix" includes linux, solaris, mac os x and such). The message certainly makes it sound like Peter's executable includes instructions your CPU doesn't recognize...
It is odd, because I'm sure it does support all those. I'm not convinced that the download includes the updated compiles. Peter can advise.

I will send a link in a PM to you for a build I'm testing at the moment. I suspect you have a revision of the Phenom that _doesn't_ support SSE3 and above.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Modern Times wrote:

I will send a link in a PM to you for a build I'm testing at the moment. I suspect you have a revision of the Phenom that _doesn't_ support SSE3 and above.

Peter
Not according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AM ... _II_series
All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, ABM, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64, Cool'n'Quiet, AMD-V, Turbo Core (AMD equivalent of Intel Turbo Boost)
Note that the popcnt instruction is included under ABM, so that's not the issue either.