On-line engine blitz tourney January

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney January

Post by hgm »

Henk wrote:I don't think it's much fun playing a tournament where almost all opponents play 500 ELO stronger. But I can always watch TV simultaneously.
Well, your engine is not SMP, right? And your PC probably has multiple cores. So if you want weak opponents, why not bring your own? Just pick a weak engine of your choice, and log that on as well. I will be there with 4 engines, as I have a quad. And in fact I might join NEG as well, as it doesn't use any CPU time anyway.
op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Post by op12no2 »

op12no2 wrote:I've managed to get Lozza to play (actually get slaughtered by ChengRB to be more accurate :) ) but there is no engine output for her - other engines seem OK. I'm just sending standard UCI stuff. Do I need to do anything ICS specific?
Ah ha. It's because I was sending a SAN PV (out of UCI spec) . Arena lives with it, Winboard is more correct.
Henk

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote:
Henk wrote:I don't think it's much fun playing a tournament where almost all opponents play 500 ELO stronger. But I can always watch TV simultaneously.
Well, your engine is not SMP, right? And your PC probably has multiple cores. So if you want weak opponents, why not bring your own? Just pick a weak engine of your choice, and log that on as well. I will be there with 4 engines, as I have a quad. And in fact I might join NEG as well, as it doesn't use any CPU time anyway.
No it's too expensive. Maybe Skipper skips. So at least I forget about weak engines.
hgm

Post by hgm »

op12no2 wrote:Ah ha. It's because I was sending a SAN PV (out of UCI spec) . Arena lives with it, Winboard is more correct.
Well, WinBoard doesn't even get to see it. But since you are UCI, the first hurdle you have to take is Polyglot, and Polyglot is quite strict/pedantic. With UCI2WB as adapter you would just see what the engine prints.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

hgm wrote: Well, WinBoard doesn't even get to see it. But since you are UCI, the first hurdle you have to take is Polyglot, and Polyglot is quite strict/pedantic. With UCI2WB as adapter you would just see what the engine prints.
OK thanks. It's working great now I switched to the long notation. I've noticed that if I'm idle for a while, the command line becomes unresponsive, e.g. type "who" - nothing is echoed back. Have you seen that before?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Yes. And it means your TCP/IP connection is dead without your computer being aware of it. That happens.
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

Just wanted to mention that I think Ive gotten it working. The good news is it was fixed the moment I upgraded xboard. The bad news is that since I somehow didnt manage to compile it I can't tell you much more as to why it works now.

Among other news, I am now on Xubuntu 4.10... Don't ask :P

Looking forward to this evening,
Jonathan
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

How do I get a registered account on your server?

Mailing chess@caissa.onenet.net did not work (mail rejected).
hgm

Post by hgm »

You should PM me your e-mail address, and the name of the account you want. Then I will create it.

That e-mail address you were using is not mine. I guess it is still there by mistake, (because I failed to edit it out), and once belonged to the original developers of the FICS code.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

hgm wrote:Yes. And it means your TCP/IP connection is dead without your computer being aware of it. That happens.
Does that means I'm gong to screw it up for everybody - confused... :) is there a way to keep the connection alive auto?