Cool web applet

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: Cool web applet

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:afyafsW

You have to specify each step of the path with the aid of 'a' operators, two normal Wazir steps in the same direction, and then an outward diagonal slide. (This assumes the moves can be blocked on the square you labeled 'w'.)

Note that this only describes moves that indeed make all the steps; if you want it to also move to the initial two squares, you would have to list that separately:

WafWafyafsW or WnDafyafsW
Very good, been trying this for a day without success.

Now I use R2 for the first 2 wazir moves from origin, overall it would look R2afyafsW.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Ah yes, R2 would of course work as well (and should be preferred).
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Is there a betza for a swap move? example,
e2e4 e7e5 g1f3 g8f6 d1f3

That d1f3 is a swap move, meaning the queen in d1 will go to f3 and the knight in f3 will go to d1. See image1.

image1

Without betza, I also tried it in Winboard-AA but only the f3 square is updated and the d1 square is empty, see image2.

image2

Is there a way to make this work in winboard even without a betza?

Thanks.
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

The requested URL /membergraphics/MSinteractive-diagrams/WhitePawn.png was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Where did you get that error? The mentioned file is indeed not there, but it is not supposed to be there (on the chessvariants.com server). At one point they changed naming of where the user-submitted pages are stored, but the uploaded files are still stored in the old place, which is /membergraphics/MSinteractivedia/WhitePawn.png .
hgm

Post by hgm »

Ferdy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:17 am Is there a betza for a swap move? example,
e2e4 e7e5 g1f3 g8f6 d1f3

That d1f3 is a swap move, meaning the queen in d1 will go to f3 and the knight in f3 will go to d1. See image1.
I did define a modifier for capturing own pieces ('d' for 'destroy'), and I even think I implemented that in WinBoard. But it never occur to me to define something for swapping, and neither did I see it anywhere else. So I certainly did not implement anything like it in WinBoard; if it allows d1f3 at all, it will consider it a normal replacement capture.

I never even encountered a variant where you could capture your own pieces; I implemented side-effect capture capture of an own piece (i.e. in the non-final leg of a multi-leg move) as a non-royal castling. (The extended version of Omega Chess had this silly thing where a Queen could castle with a Rook.)
Of course I could make WinBoard interpret every capture of a friendly piece as a swap, rather than a capture. In the interactive diagram I actually did that for dropping pieces on top of an own piece: the latter then goes back into the hand. The letter 'd' would be a bit illogical for that, however.

I guess 'w' is still unused in XBetza; it could be used to indicate swapping with a friendly piece. But what if there is swapping with enemy pieces? I guess a more general way to indicate this kind of thing is to define 'u' as 'unload', i.e. leave behind what you captured or destroyed on an earlier leg. The swap could then be programmed as a 3-leg move, which would 'destroy' your own piece in the first leg, step back in the second leg to unload it on the from-square, and then again do the original move to the now-empty square. Similar t 'rifle capture' being defined as a two-leg move, the second leg undoing the first (except for the victim remaing gone). The 'i' (for 'iso') modifier can force equally-long slider legs, so caibR for the Rifle-Rook: capture and again the same length back. Then daibuaibQ would be "destroy with a Queen move, again the same length back to unload the victim, and then again the same length back (w.r.t. previous leg). This would also allow swapping with enemies (use 'c' instead of 'd'), and more general 'catapult pieces'.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 am
Ferdy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:17 am Is there a betza for a swap move? example,
e2e4 e7e5 g1f3 g8f6 d1f3

I did define a modifier for capturing own pieces ('d' for 'destroy'), and I even think I implemented that in WinBoard. But it never occur to me to define something for swapping, and neither did I see it anywhere else. So I certainly did not implement anything like it in WinBoard; if it allows d1f3 at all, it will consider it a normal replacement capture.

I never even encountered a variant where you could capture your own pieces; I implemented side-effect capture capture of an own piece (i.e. in the non-final leg of a multi-leg move) as a non-royal castling. (The extended version of Omega Chess had this silly thing where a Queen could castle with a Rook.)
Such move is from a new fairy piece type that can be introduced to the board, something similar to musketeer chess or seirawan chess. If it is on the board, it can move like a king and Dababa, and also it can do a swap move once only in every game.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Do you want this move in WinBoard or in the interactive diagram? If the notation is going to be daibuibQ it does fit the pattern that WinBoard now hijacked for non-royal castling, namely a friendly capture ('d') in a non-final leg. So if WinBoard's Betza parser would ignore the 'u' (which it probably already does) I would only have to generalize the interpretation of castling into a straight swap in cases where conventional castling cannot possibly be meant. (E.g. because the piece in the target square is not virgin, or not on the same rank.) When WinBoard classifies such a friendly locust capture as a castling, it would place the 'captured' piece next to the to-square of the moved piece, an otherwise it could place it on the from-square.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Would be great if this is implemented in Winboard.