Lost Years of opening bookd work?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lion

Lost Years of opening bookd work?

Post by Lion »

Hello,

I have been working for Years on my opening book, manually entering/modifying all lines in Fritz/ChessBase GUI under a *.ctg file.

I used to do back-ups in case.... but recently, I can no longer do any copy or back-up.

Whe trying to do so, it says, Windows 10 says, its impossible to read for file source.

Has one of you encountered the same problem and found a solution?
syzygy

Re: Lost Years of opening bookd work?

Post by syzygy »

How could you be in danger of losing years of work if you made backups? Did you delete your backup files?
kliles

Re: Lost Years of opening bookd work?

Post by kliles »

What sort of media is used to store the file? Is it the computer's hard disk or a usb (thumb) drive or something else? If the file is on a removable drive, have you tried reading the drive on another computer?

One thing to try: from file explorer, find the file and right click on the file and display "properties" and report the results here...

Windows 10 (and perhaps other recent versions?) introduced the idea of 'previous version' for files - when looking at 'properties' as I described above, you can also check the tab named 'Previous Versions' to see if anything is listed ... I myself don't rely much on that, but I see it may be there (most likely you would have to have enough foresight to turn on that feature)