When should I consider parallel search ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: When should I consider parallel search ?

Post by hgm »

cdani wrote:
hgm wrote: Letting them think longer is a more efficient way to get more Elo than parallel search.
Sure, only that you will not be able to do it in a tournament :-)
I thought you never went to tournaments. :wink:

Who cares what it does in a tournament? There is no money to be made participating in tournaments. Virtually all engine users are interested in analysis only.
cdani

Post by cdani »

hgm wrote: I thought you never went to tournaments. :wink:
I meant that I'm not the operator of the engine :-)
hgm

Post by hgm »

Ah. But the main point still stands. Tournaments are just a means to test the engine, and this can be done just as well on a single CPU. They are not a worthy goal.

No one cared that Volkswagen cars had a low emission on the test bench. Designing cars especially to perform well there was even considered cheating. Engine tournaments play a similar role in computer Chess.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

hgm wrote:Virtually all engine users are interested in analysis only.
And analyzing with multiple threads does not result in a better analysis (within a given time) than analyzing with one thread?

How should a user who is interested in strong engine analysis work with your proposal of running N single-threaded engines instead of one N-thread engine? How does he get his stronger analysis, then?
hgm

Post by hgm »

That is what I always do. I typically analyze a tree, so I can do multiple branches in parallel. Some people also analyze the same position with various engines.
flok

Post by flok »

mar wrote:What kind of question is that? Are you able to make your own decisions? :)
Do whatever you want and when you see fit.
LazySMP is trivial to implement and can be done in less than a week (even less if you can afford to work fulltime on it).
Less than a week? What is taking so long then?
Because the "only thing" you need to do (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong):
- start search n times
- if search-depth is d, then make thread 2 search d + 1, thread 3 d + 2 and so on
- for threads other than thread 1, unsort (shuffle) the movelist
- make sure your tt can handle multiple readers/writers in parallel
- wait for first thread to finish

Right?
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

flok wrote:
mar wrote:What kind of question is that? Are you able to make your own decisions? :)
LazySMP is trivial to implement and can be done in less than a week (even less if you can afford to work fulltime on it).
Less than a week? What is taking so long then?
Because the "only thing" you need to do (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong):
- start search n times
- if search-depth is d, then make thread 2 search d + 1, thread 3 d + 2 and so on
- for threads other than thread 1, unsort (shuffle) the movelist
- make sure your tt can handle multiple readers/writers in parallel
- wait for first thread to finish

Right?
It's relatively easy (if you know how to program), I don't understand your points 2-4 but nevermind.
What takes "so long"? Making sure it works (debugging, testing - I've seen engines that play worse with >1 cores :).
If your engine is full of globals then you have to refactor a lot.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is Embla SMP?
If not then how can you say a week is a long time?!

There are people who go to work so a week of spare time feels about right.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

mar wrote:What takes "so long"? Making sure it works (debugging, testing - I've seen engines that play worse with >1 cores :).
I wonder what engine you could possibly be thinking about.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

MahmoudUthman

Post by MahmoudUthman »

:) I'm but I lack the experience to judge whether or not It's worth the effort (coding & debugging) at this level before trying other things like the ones I mentioned.
hgm wrote:Never consider parallel search. It is an inefficient usage of resources.
Never as in never or not right now ? , I thought that current algorithms scale quite well on low number of cores which what I'm interested in "for now" , I only have a I7-5820k processor.
hgm wrote:That is what I always do. I typically analyze a tree, so I can do multiple branches in parallel. Some people also analyze the same position with various engines.
what if the user runs the engine using a single thread , I've no idea about current algorithms , do they really add that much overhead to a single threaded search ?