TLCV can't connect to server

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

TLCV can't connect to server

Post by AlvaroBegue »

Hi,

I am trying to follow a tournament my engine is involved in. I've been given the server GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org and the port 16001. Unfortunately, both TLCV (running on Linux using wine) and Livius claim they can't connect. I've never used TLCV before, so perhaps I am doing something stupid.

I also cannot ping the server from the command line. I don't think my router's firewall is too restrictive: It's supposed to allow outbound connections at any port.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Do I need to allow and forward incoming connections or something of that sort?

Thanks!
Álvaro.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Re: TLCV can't connect to server

Post by Sven »

Are you trying to connect via a mobile network? If so: I have never managed to connect to GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org that way, so maybe the root cause of your problem is the same as mine?
AlvaroBegue

Post by AlvaroBegue »

I'm not sure what you mean by a "mobile network". I am using wifi inside my house, but that should be irrelevant.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

TLCV uses UDP. Just a stupid guess, but maybe your firewall is disallowing UDP traffic on that port?
AlvaroBegue

Post by AlvaroBegue »

I don't think that's the issue. I can't ping the server either, and I can ping other servers. Perhaps it's a DNS problem? I am getting GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org translated to ping 172.217.10.78 . Can someone else try to ping it and see if it works?
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

AlvaroBegue wrote:I don't think that's the issue. I can't ping the server either, and I can ping other servers. Perhaps it's a DNS problem? I am getting GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org translated to ping 172.217.10.78 . Can someone else try to ping it and see if it works?
I get 222.154.252.101 with my ping. I'm using Windows 10 with a home wifi.

But I have had several instances when I couldn't connect using other networks. Sometimes the specific port needs to be opened, but usually it was because the IP needed to be whitelisted.
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

AlvaroBegue wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a "mobile network"
He means a 3G/4G network connection, mobile = cellular.
AlvaroBegue

Post by AlvaroBegue »

JVMerlino wrote:
AlvaroBegue wrote:I don't think that's the issue. I can't ping the server either, and I can ping other servers. Perhaps it's a DNS problem? I am getting GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org translated to ping 172.217.10.78 . Can someone else try to ping it and see if it works?
I get 222.154.252.101 with my ping. I'm using Windows 10 with a home wifi.

But I have had several instances when I couldn't connect using other networks. Sometimes the specific port needs to be opened, but usually it was because the IP needed to be whitelisted.
Oh, sorry. I have the same IP. I copy-pasted from the wrong test.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

AlvaroBegue wrote:I don't think my router's firewall is too restrictive: It's supposed to allow outbound connections at any port.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Do I need to allow and forward incoming connections or something of that sort?
Indeed, you need to open the firewall(s) for incoming connections. In particular, you need to map the port of the broadcast for UDP to the machine you run TLCV on. I had to do that in both my modem and my router, and then allow TLCV to service requests from that port in the firewall of the machine it runs on.
AlvaroBegue

Post by AlvaroBegue »

hgm wrote:
AlvaroBegue wrote:I don't think my router's firewall is too restrictive: It's supposed to allow outbound connections at any port.

Indeed, you need to open the firewall(s) for incoming connections. In particular, you need to map the port of the broadcast for UDP to the machine you run TLCV on. I had to do that in both my modem and my router, and then allow TLCV to service requests from that port in the firewall of the machine it runs on.
That means I can only run the viewer in a particular machine in my home, and I have to mess with router/modem/firewall settings if I want to run it on another one.

This is just too much of a pain. I have lived a happy live to this day without using TLCV, so I guess I'll be OK without it until they move to a connection-based protocol. :)

Thanks for the help.