7-men Syzygy attempt

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Sesse

Re: 7-men Syzygy attempt

Post by Sesse » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:19 pm

jdart wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 am
I have looked recently at merging the CFish version of tbprobe.c into my fork of Fathom, but there a lot of diffs, so that it is kind of a tall order. And I don't have 7-man bases to test it with.
Yes, that's what I noticed, too…
Pull requests are welcome, though.
Does this hold in general? :-) I'd love to get in the patch in https://github.com/basil00/Fathom/issues/22.

jdart

Post by jdart » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Does this hold in general?
Sure, you can submit it. I don't use this feature (move_to_str) myself - so I was not aware there was a bug there.

--Jon

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 pm

syzygy wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:16 pm
Ozymandias wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 pm
syzygy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 pm
WDL for N pieces requires WDL for (N-1) pieces and below.
Got it, thanks.
What is not needed for WDL are the tables that can be reached through promotions.

So if you are only interested in KRPPvKRP and only need WDL, then you must download just KRPPvKRP and all 6-piece WDL TBs (or at least those that can be reached through captures, but you're not going to gain much by being selective with 6-piece tables if you are downloading the much bigger 7-piece tables). You don't need all KRXYvKRZ if you are only interested in adjudicating KRPPvKRP positions or in analysing positions for which KRPPvKRP is important.

(But if you want to play out KRPPvKRP positions to mate reliably, you need all the tables that can be reached through promotion and the corresponding DTZ tables.)
The total size of 6 men WDL is less than 1% the size of 7 men WDL, so cherrypicking those tables is rather excessive. Nonetheless, the explanation helps better understanding the inner workings of syzygy.