DTM50

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: DTM50

Post by Nordlandia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Joost Buijs: i'm using Asus X99 Deluxe II with i7-5960X overclocked to 4.5GHz. Should it be fine?

Joost Buijs
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: DTM50

Post by Joost Buijs » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:54 pm
Joost Buijs: i'm using Asus X99 Deluxe II with i7-5960X overclocked to 4.5GHz. Should it be fine?
I have the same motherboard with i7-6950X at 4.0 GHz. and 64 GB. RAM (DDR4 2400).

According to Intel ARK the i7-5960X supports max. 64 GB DDR4 2133, so your 128 GB probably doesn't work, but you can always try of course. I've heard of several people that they got 128 GB working with the 5960X, it is possible that the information from Intel is outdated and that there are versions of the 5960X that will work with 128 GB.

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: DTM50

Post by Nordlandia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 pm

For simple comparison it would be cool if you can do a simple test for me. Comparing speed of 5960X and 6950X

What kind of speed can your 6950X output from this position. 10-cores (no hypertreading), tablebases off.



Sedat benchmark position for stockfish: https://sites.google.com/site/computers ... benchrules

I recommend that we use latest ultimaiq compile: http://chess.ultimaiq.net/stockfish.html

Joost Buijs
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: DTM50

Post by Joost Buijs » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 pm

I also have a 5960X on a X99 Deluxe, so I can try both. Unfortunately I have to do something else right now, I will run some tests tomorrow morning.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: DTM50

Post by Joost Buijs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:39 am

Nordlandia wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 pm
For simple comparison it would be cool if you can do a simple test for me. Comparing speed of 5960X and 6950X

What kind of speed can your 6950X output from this position. 10-cores (no hypertreading), tablebases off.



Sedat benchmark position for stockfish: https://sites.google.com/site/computers ... benchrules

I recommend that we use latest ultimaiq compile: http://chess.ultimaiq.net/stockfish.html
For what it is worth, the result I got on my i7-6950X @ 4GHz. 10 threads with hyper threading off is 24352 kn/s.
I used the Stockfish BMI2 binary from the link you gave me and let it run for 60 seconds on the Sedat position.

Later I will benchmark my i7-5960X, 2 weeks ago I have been moving my office to another location and the 5960X is still not operative.

My 6950X can work at 4.4GHz. too, but I don't like these high over-clocks, above 3.8 GHz. the CPU temperature is increasing very rapidly, so I never clock it higher than 4GHz.

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: DTM50

Post by Nordlandia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm

h150i pro is the cooler i use.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: DTM50

Post by Joost Buijs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm
h150i pro is the cooler i use.
I don't use water-cooling but aircooling. I use the Noctua NH-D15 which on average is ~4 deg. C worse in most tests compared with your Corsair.
The Noctua is quieter though (I can hardly hear it), and at 4GHz. with 10 cores at full (integer) load I still manage to keep the CPU temperature at ~55 deg. C.

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: DTM50

Post by Nordlandia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Okey. I'm tempted to buy the My Book Duo 20TB HDD for 7-piece syzygy storage for backup. The problem is the noise level per reviews. But i think for 7-piece storage drive and for 7-piece adjudication (once cutechess supports it hopefully soon) the external drive will be fine as backup drives usually go in a hibernation state in the early stage of the game and wake up once approaching endgame - 7-8 men positions.

High noise level is still annoying.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: DTM50

Post by Joost Buijs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm
Okey. I'm tempted to buy the My Book Duo 20TB HDD for 7-piece syzygy storage for backup. The problem is the noise level per reviews. But i think for 7-piece storage drive and for 7-piece adjudication (once cutechess supports it hopefully soon) the external drive will be fine as backup drives usually go in a hibernation state in the early stage of the game and wake up once approaching endgame - 7-8 men positions.

High noise level is still annoying.
The My Book is nice for backup but (if you want to probe in the tree) way too slow to use with Tablebases, you'd better buy two 10TB (or larger) internal HDD's and put them in raid 0.

I have an Asustor NAS with currently four 6TB WD-red, although it is quite fast (for a hard drive) I have never tried to use it with TB's.

Maybe 7-piece TB is nice for analysis, but I don't think that it will gain much for actual game-play.

MikeB
Posts: 3168
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: DTM50

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Joost Buijs wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Nordlandia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm
Okey. I'm tempted to buy the My Book Duo 20TB HDD for 7-piece syzygy storage for backup. The problem is the noise level per reviews. But i think for 7-piece storage drive and for 7-piece adjudication (once cutechess supports it hopefully soon) the external drive will be fine as backup drives usually go in a hibernation state in the early stage of the game and wake up once approaching endgame - 7-8 men positions.

High noise level is still annoying.
The My Book is nice for backup but (if you want to probe in the tree) way too slow to use with Tablebases, you'd better buy two 10TB (or larger) internal HDD's and put them in raid 0.

I have an Asustor NAS with currently four 6TB WD-red, although it is quite fast (for a hard drive) I have never tried to use it with TB's.

Maybe 7-piece TB is nice for analysis, but I don't think that it will gain much for actual game-play.
I agree , it's not there for game play, but nice for analysis.

Post Reply