Strange draw scores when searching Fine#70

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Re: Strange draw scores when searching Fine#70

Post by xr_a_y »

If you are right, I guess some better engine would benefit from not storing alpha_bound also ?
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

sorry for reviving this thread, but I have (had) the same problem, so I thought this may be interesting for other people as well

singular extension is a recent addition to my engine (got nice 20 elo in selfplay) and I started getting weird score oscillations when searching fine #70
I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong, tried various "remedies" ranging from kludges to completely insane

turns out the problem was simply my always-replace-if-same-signature (hash)

SE extends a lot of moves throughout the tree and puts a lot of pressure on the TT
precious entries get overwritten and this leads to oscillations when the engine "loses the tread"

at the moment I'm trying to figure out a new replacement scheme that doesn't lose much elo :)

so the solution is to keep higher draft depths in the TT, but not always, because it's still valuable to overwrite when the difference between depth to store/draft isn't too big, because this helps to resolve smaller subtrees faster. tried draft > depth*n => don't overwrite, will try a bias as well. a lot of test games ahead it seems...
Martin Sedlak
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

do you store one bound in the TT or both bounds? When I did this test (on the K vs R end-game in Suicide) that showed minimax was an order of manitude faster than alpha-beta, I tried to figure out why alpha-beta was giving me such a slowdown. And I could finally trace that to the same entry oscillating between upper and lower bound, all the time. This require the same sub-tree to be searched many times over. With minimax you would only ever search each position once, for a given depth, and the score would be exact, so that it would satisfy all probes of that or lower depth to produce a cutoff.
mar

Post by mar »

Interesting observation. I only store one bound. I could probably squeeze extra 16 bits from move which is now 32 bits, but that would complicate things a bit for me, because I have lots of move flags (not to mention other changes that storing 2 bounds would imply)

I thought the vast majority would be zero-width searches anyway, but I'd have to count how many upper/lower bounds are actually coming from zw searches to know for sure.

I may also try to reserve 1 bucket slot as always-overwrite fallback in the case where I'd overwrite a higher draft entry with the same signature (I believe you once told me you use something like this in your engines) - either way, there's a lot of things to try. tweaking my replacement scheme seems a lot easier at this point, I don't know.
Martin Sedlak
mar

Post by mar »

note that I forgot that for two bounds you'd also need two drafts, I'm linking this thread that contains more details on this topic: http://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=50430
Martin Sedlak
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

My experiment was done with a vanilla alpha-beta search; this could indeed make a difference. But even in PVS, when the root score changes in the next iteration, half of the TT entries becomes useless for the new null-window.