20 New NN Engines has been reported to the TCEC

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

20 New NN Engines has been reported to the TCEC

Post by Chessqueen »

TCEC reported that 20 new NN Engines will be added among them Hannibal NN, Scorpio NN, and The Baron NN ! I wonder if the NN version of those engines will be stronger than their previous version? I believe that Larry is also considering making a NN version of Komodo as well. Hannibal is a very decent engine listed on the CCRL Report as 3155, lets see if the NN version will make it stronger. :roll:
23 Hannibal 1.7 64-bit 4CPU 3155
https://tcec.chessdom.com/
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: 20 New NN Engines has been reported to the TCEC

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:12 pm TCEC reported that 20 new NN Engines will be added among them Hannibal NN, Scorpio NN, and The Baron NN ! I wonder if the NN version of those engines will be stronger than their previous version? I believe that Larry is also considering making a NN version of Komodo as well. Hannibal is a very decent engine listed on the CCRL Report as 3155, lets see if the NN version will make it stronger. :roll:
23 Hannibal 1.7 64-bit 4CPU 3155
https://tcec.chessdom.com/

Nightbot: Confirmed: Nemorino, Hannibal, ScorpioNN, Tucano, Wasp, Winter, Pirarucu, RubiChess, Marvin, Cheese, the Baron. Current estimate is between 18 and 22 engines.

What is interesting is that the Development of Leela has been spearheaded by programmer Gary Linscott, who is also a developer for the Stockfish chess engine along with Alexander Lyashuk.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
pijl

Post by pijl »

The Baron does not use neural nets (yet). The version registered to TCEC is a NUMA aware compile of 3.44
Richard.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

pijl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:54 pm The Baron does not use neural nets (yet). The version registered to TCEC is a NUMA aware compile of 3.44
Richard.
Is NUMA awareness currently required at TCEC?
Sven Schüle (engine author: Jumbo, KnockOut, Surprise)
konsolas
Full name: Vincent

Post by konsolas »

You seem to have misread - there will be 16-20 new engines, one of which will be a NN engine that isn't derived from Lc0.
pijl

Post by pijl »

Sven wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:40 pm Is NUMA awareness currently required at TCEC?
Required not. Recommended yes, as it is a dual-socket machine.
Sven

Post by Sven »

pijl wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 pm
Sven wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:40 pm Is NUMA awareness currently required at TCEC?
Required not. Recommended yes, as it is a dual-socket machine.
Ok. Is there a common estimate of the slowdown for a non-NUMA-aware engine on such a machine?
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Sven wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:40 pm
pijl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:54 pm The Baron does not use neural nets (yet). The version registered to TCEC is a NUMA aware compile of 3.44
Richard.
Condition for required: Running windows with 64+ threads. Without NUMA awareness you can't get optimal thread to CPU distribution.
Condition for recommended: Always :)
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
pijl

Post by pijl »

Sven wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pm Ok. Is there a common estimate of the slowdown for a non-NUMA-aware engine on such a machine?
Torsten once tested that for me in one of the early TCEC editions. I don't rmember exactly how much, but it was significant (order of magnitude 10-20%).
Sven

Post by Sven »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 pm
Sven wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:40 pm
Richard.
Condition for required: Running windows with 64+ threads. Without NUMA awareness you can't get optimal thread to CPU distribution.
Condition for recommended: Always :)
Thanks. So for TCEC, with 43 threads on a 2x22 core machine w/o HT, can I expect that "usually" each of the 43 threads will get its own core?