Creating a spoon of TSCP181

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Re: Creating a spoon of TSCP181

Post by Roland Chastain »

PK wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 am To avoid problems with spooning a non-free engine, I might be tempted to create a very basic bitboard engine. Interested?
For me, I would follow you with interest, if it really is very basic as you promise. :)
I started here a discussion where I try to understand the basics of bitboards. I would like to make a kind of tutorial, with Pascal code examples.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Roland Chastain wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 amI started here a discussion where I try to understand the basics of bitboards. I would like to make a kind of tutorial, with Pascal code examples.
Discussing a LISP implementation in Finnish would be even more effective in limiting the number of participants. :wink:
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
brianr

Post by brianr »

Roland Chastain wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 am
PK wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 am To avoid problems with spooning a non-free engine, I might be tempted to create a very basic bitboard engine. Interested?
For me, I would follow you with interest, if it really is very basic as you promise. :)
I started here a discussion where I try to understand the basics of bitboards. I would like to make a kind of tutorial, with Pascal code examples.
Just in case you are not familiar with this resource:
https://www.chessprogramming.org/Bitboards
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 pm
Michael Sherwin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:03 pm I'm too old to start a chess engine from scratch. And my own engines are not a simple enough starting point for a spoon. So I have started a spoon of TSCP181 by Tom Kerrigan. What is spooning? I think that I just made it up. Anyway, spooning is starting with someone else's source code and over time spooning out their code and spooning in original code while keeping a working 'framework'. It is not a fork because nothing of the original code will remain. During the spooning process the new engine will be open source. When the spooning is complete then I may or may not keep the engine open source. The final spoon though will be open source and it will have a different kind of license. The license will state that anyone will be able to use the new engine as the basis for their own engine. They must increase the playing strength by at least 100 elo before they can release it. They must keep their changes closed source. And they must acknowledge that it started as the spooned engine.

What are the thoughts about this process?
TSCP is a bad choice.
It is full of globals that make a SMP version difficult.
I would suggest a different engine as a starting point.
Yes, there are some features of TSCP that make it harder than it should be. And I do want it to be smp.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through