Python compiler

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Python compiler

Post by Rebel »

90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Ferdy

Re: Python compiler

Post by Ferdy »

I use py2exe and pyinstaller. Both works depending of course on the python version that they support. It seems pyinstaller supports python 3.7, so if you use 3.7 better use pyinstaller. I think it was pyinstaller that allows me to compile a python gui too.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

I use Visual Studio, mostly because I am used to it from C, but also because it handles mixing C with Python. Believe it or not, haven’t worked out how to produce a stand alone executable, because never needed to, always just work within the IDE.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

chrisw wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:39 am I use Visual Studio, mostly because I am used to it from C, but also because it handles mixing C with Python. Believe it or not, haven’t worked out how to produce a stand alone executable, because never needed to, always just work within the IDE.
Most windows users do not really care about py source and don't even bother installing this ever changing python libraries. It is good to compile a stable py source once in a while so that when the lib/dependencies gets updated and may render the current source useless, the exe is there ready for use.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Ferdy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:07 am
chrisw wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:39 am I use Visual Studio, mostly because I am used to it from C, but also because it handles mixing C with Python. Believe it or not, haven’t worked out how to produce a stand alone executable, because never needed to, always just work within the IDE.
Most windows users do not really care about py source and don't even bother installing this ever changing python libraries. It is good to compile a stable py source once in a while so that when the lib/dependencies gets updated and may render the current source useless, the exe is there ready for use.
Windows developers care about the sources! My company was a beta test developer for what became Visual Studio in 1997 or 8 or something. It handled multiple programming teams and was the must have dev kit for doing, for example, Sony Playstation via the Sony hardware extension and other similar stuff. I know there is a community that is constantly hostile, even snobbish, about Windows, but, at that time, Microsoft Developer was the commercial, bug-free, organised, successful, games software developers system of choice. I use it now, cos I'm used to it, I find it a bit over-heavy on features, and sometimes irritating, but good at integrating stuff together, especially C and Python.