bizarre behavior by Leela

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Joost Buijs

Re: bizarre behavior by Leela

Post by Joost Buijs »

mar wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Joost Buijs wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm Isn't this bug already solved a long time ago?
You're probably right, it only seems to happen when I compile against older Win SDK (8.1 or earlier).
It also happens when I try to compile for WinXP, no idea if it's related.
No idea either, I haven't compiled for WinXP in ages, the last time I used WinXP (64 bit) is at least 10 years ago. The latest MSVC build tools do not support WinXp compatible builds anymore.

I have the feeling that for integer work the optimization of the latest MSVC compiler (14.2127702) is on par with the latest Intel v19.0 C++ compiler (2019.3.056), in the past I could always get some extra performance (~7%) by using the Intel compiler but this seems to be no longer the case. Intel is always a few steps behind, for instance their latest compiler still doesn't integrate into VS-2019.
smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Post by smcracraft »

This was rectified after placing Xboard on the box and linking it up. Now only normal good games. It was human error.
smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Post by smcracraft »

All of that is fixed up and I have my sparring partner.

It is much less fast to execute my chesspatzer play than my program Talish, but Leela provides an illusion that I am stronger than I am.

Talish just slices me up tactically quickly.

So I am happy with this outcome.

Running on Apple Mac, AWS Ubuntu Deep Learning with GPU, AWS Windows 10 Deep Learning with GPU.

I suppose I should get the distilled version up as well.

I ditched Arena (awful program) and replaced with Xboard and finally have peace and calm.