FRC / Chess960 -- Some Lessons I Learned

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Uri Blass

Re: FRC / Chess960 -- Some Lessons I Learned

Post by Uri Blass » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:20 pm

I do not see the second game
I post only the second game.

I think long castling is allowed for white only if white move Rook c1 first or to be more accurate only if c1 d1 are empty
Edit:or to be more accurate the opponent also cannot threat a square between the king and the destination square when the player castle.

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: FRC / Chess960 -- Some Lessons I Learned

Post by hgm » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:34 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:08 am
D Sceviour wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:37 pm
What would be the final castling positions for this initial FRC position? Is queen side castling allowed?

[d]5rkr/8/8/8/8/8/8/RKR5 w - - 0 1
In Chess960, after castling, the king and rook's final positions are exactly the same as they would be in standard chess. So you need to clear the pieces that are in the way. The standard convention in castling in a Chess960 GUI, you placed the king ON the rook you are castling with. See the two fake game snippets below:

So the castled positions will ALWAYS look like this - white is queenside, black shows kingside

It's amazing how you got picked on for not asking the question "properly" , but no one really answered your question even though it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what you were asking for. Instead , they wasted your time, my time and their time to tell you what was wrong with your question. - instead of just answering the obvious question you were asking - how does one castle in Chess960.
Doesn't seem you answer the question, though. He asked for 'Queen-side castling', and you show him King-side, and for the placement of the white pieces only. He could have been asking for black. And the Rooks and Kings are not in the position he gives. Perhaps it is rocket science, but you assume he knows zilch and asks for what everyone knows. His question might very well have been about which squares must be empty or not attacked, if he is a bit smarter than you give him credit for...