Severe windows 10 problems. What to do?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Re: Severe windows 10 problems. What to do?

Post by smcracraft »

Exactly one of the many reasons why I abandoned Windows 10 as my system (without virtualization on top of it) back in 2008.

Many countries are switching away from Windows due to its hackability.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Having fun with dos.
Only command prompt working
XCopy, Robocopy
u name it

By the way compushop says there were disc errors
Still don't believe it

cmp prompt still working fine
For reparation they asked 200 euro so i refused

Probably will take weeks for getting Skipper back
Maybe first have to learn dos
Or I try a setup with installation medium to be sure computershop was telling truth

Also don't know exactly where Skipper sources were located

Might be half year of work lost worst case

Xcopy giving errors so can't be trusted

I try to backup as much as possible
But only 5% or less is usefull. But where are they stored.
To difficult too find out
If I copy everything i need more usb space. Don't know
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

The more you mess around with a hard-drive or file-system that is broken the more you will lose. The safest way is to connect your hard-drive to another computer and use software like 'GetDataBack' from Runtime Software or something similar. Often file recovery programs are able to recover deleted and corrupted files. If the hard-drive is really broken with unrecoverable bad sectors these programs are usually capable of recovering parts of files, so you won't lose everything.

Another option is to boot your computer from a CD, DVD or USB stick with Windows-PE on it, than you have at least a fully working operating system to try recovering your data.

I have all the tools you need, and offered you to help for free, but in that case I need your laptop or whatever it is overhere. If the hard-drive is really broken you have to replace it, a cheap 256GB SSD replacement costs between 20 and 40 euro's, I guess that must be affordable.
Henk

Post by Henk »

I already get strange results from xcopy. Not the content but only directory structure had been copied

I used /e /s

Maybe best to copy as less as possible.

Almere is not next door and maybe I can work around somehow.

Worst case create everything new on new computer.

See what problems I get because of lost history.

Good lesson no backup then done

Looks like you have to rent a safe

Or carry usb sticks around your neck to survive
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

For really important stuff (not my chess program btw) I usually have 3 backups, one on my NAS, one on an USB-SSD and a third one out of the house (not in the cloud because I don't trust that).

I learnt my lesson many years ago, I was doing a programming job for some company, 3 months of work already done and at one morning when I turned on the computer I heard a nasty squeaking sound and the hard-drive was totally gone, and no backup at all. Since that time I always make sure to have multiple backups of important stuff.

Having a backup on a second hard-drive in your PC already gives you some extra safety.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Already found .eml files. Does not show topic so i have to open them to find out what is the topic.
Very time consuming. No search possible too. Only know date.

Strange you can't import them in windows mail while windows live mail is not supported anymore.

Some work around?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Sven wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:07 am
Henk wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am Maybe I should try second option: Create Windows 10 installation media
But therefore I first have to buy USB with at least 8 GB. My current USB sticks only have 4GB.
A 32 GB USB stick should be available for much less than 10 EUR. So not much of a "but" ...
I payed 19 euro for 32 GB. Sales man wanted me to buy a 64 GB
Henk

Post by Henk »

I think i will never buy anything again from "Media Markt".
Bought a new computer but I see I paid 99 euro for
"Power Service Altijd aan".
I did not ask for that.
Yes it was included in the package.

Being so foolish to buy that.

Looks like each encounter with a salesman in a computer shop cost you many euros.
All thieves.

Only buy stuff when in economic recession otherwise you pay too much.

Might be person in other computer shop did nothing but only cashed 50 euro.

Maybe better buy online if you can get online but I only had a dumb Phone. Who invented the word smart Phone ?? Many application don't work on smart Phone and sometimes they assume you have fingers as big as a needle. Not to talk about annoying advertisements.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Sorry to interrupt the monologue Henk but aren't you making things worse searching files that are important to you with only ancient Dos tools. Nice to learn Dos but ancient, books you need were in De Slegte but De Slegte is also out of business... All the while any fruitless search will increase your disk hardware problems. What you need is probably making an image first with another computer. Yes that will cost a new harddrive or SSD at the least. But if you have important e-mail you don't want to lose, and you have to make that investment anyway? A bustrip is also not that expensive.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

Henk,
Henk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 pm Since last sunday I got blue screens. Sunday was last windows update.
If you still have some problems you can provide me with the mini or memory dump files from those BSODs and I will do an analysis. It is a part of my daily job at work so I think I can be a bit helpful with this problem.

Contact me via PM for more details to avoid spam here.