PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3014
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by Guenther » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 am

sovaz1997 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 am

I agree. I think we need a binary format, we must get away from the PGN format.
There are already compressed binary schemes for converting from pgn, as scid and cbh.
Please don't forget that PGN originally also had the goal to be easily readable by Humans too!

Thx god I am able to create my own scripts always to convert all kinds of ugly malformed
and misstreated PGNs to something I like - and yes, I often read them like books and
sometimes w/o chess boards too.
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

sovaz1997
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 am

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by sovaz1997 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 am

Guenther wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 am
sovaz1997 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 am

I agree. I think we need a binary format, we must get away from the PGN format.
There are already compressed binary schemes for converting from pgn, as scid and cbh.
Please don't forget that PGN originally also had the goal to be easily readable by Humans too!

Thx god I am able to create my own scripts always to convert all kinds of ugly malformed
and misstreated PGNs to something I like - and yes, I often read them like books and
sometimes w/o chess boards too.
Does SCID support the evals of engines as in TCEC (with additional parameters)?
Because of this, I just started the topic. If there is, then the issue is resolved. I wanted to create a program that could show the games of the TCEC (or any other tournament) offline :)
Zevra 2 - my chess engine.
Binary, source and description here: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3014
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by Guenther » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 am

sovaz1997 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 am
Guenther wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 am
sovaz1997 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 am

I agree. I think we need a binary format, we must get away from the PGN format.
There are already compressed binary schemes for converting from pgn, as scid and cbh.
Please don't forget that PGN originally also had the goal to be easily readable by Humans too!

Thx god I am able to create my own scripts always to convert all kinds of ugly malformed
and misstreated PGNs to something I like - and yes, I often read them like books and
sometimes w/o chess boards too.
Does SCID support the evals of engines as in TCEC (with additional parameters)?
Because of this, I just started the topic. If there is, then the issue is resolved. I wanted to create a program that could show the games of the TCEC (or any other tournament) offline :)
I don't know, never tried it, but there are also several scid flavoured GUIs to try.
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23615
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by hgm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 am

PGN is intended as a format to interchange games between humans on text-based media (such as web pages). Binary formats are suitable only for storage in databases. As Guenther points out, several well-developed formats for this purpose already exist, and are in wide-spread use.

If you think you can design better database programs than scid or chessbase, by all means, go ahead. But it has absolutely nothing to do with PGN, and being completely ignorant of what you will be competing against doesn't seem a promising starting point.

User avatar
gbtami
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by gbtami » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am

I suggest everyone to read Tord Romstad old suggestion here https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments ... pgn_format It was very interesting.

sovaz1997
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 am

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by sovaz1997 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 am

hgm wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 am
PGN is intended as a format to interchange games between humans on text-based media (such as web pages). Binary formats are suitable only for storage in databases. As Guenther points out, several well-developed formats for this purpose already exist, and are in wide-spread use.

If you think you can design better database programs than scid or chessbase, by all means, go ahead. But it has absolutely nothing to do with PGN, and being completely ignorant of what you will be competing against doesn't seem a promising starting point.
The goal is to add the values of the engines to the game file. Moreover, the engine can be far from one.

Thus, you can get some unification of online tournaments, and then use a separate client to view the tournaments (with eval schedules, etc.). Well, and view games offline. And I want to unify so that it is just more convenient for everyone to use this.
Zevra 2 - my chess engine.
Binary, source and description here: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2

sovaz1997
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 am

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by sovaz1997 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 am

gbtami wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am
I suggest everyone to read Tord Romstad old suggestion here https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments ... pgn_format It was very interesting.
Thank you for the article!
Zevra 2 - my chess engine.
Binary, source and description here: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23615
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by hgm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am

It seems to me that this is mainly driven by programmer interest. "Oh, let's do away with SAN, because it is such a pain to write a parser for that"...

But programmer-friendliness should not have any weight. Approximately 0% of those ending up using the format will program their own parser.

sovaz1997
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 am

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by sovaz1997 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am

hgm wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am
It seems to me that this is mainly driven by programmer interest. "Oh, let's do away with SAN, because it is such a pain to write a parser for that"...

But programmer-friendliness should not have any weight. Approximately 0% of those ending up using the format will program their own parser.
Yes, I already thought it would be easier to expand the PGN format and that's it. The main thing for me is to unify the formats of online tournaments, I am not going to compete with anyone, since it is impossible to do better than ChessBase alone, and the main goal is different :D
Zevra 2 - my chess engine.
Binary, source and description here: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3014
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: PGN standard, its improvement and standardization

Post by Guenther » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am

sovaz1997 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am

...

The main thing for me is to unify the formats of online tournaments, I am not going to compete with anyone, since it is impossible to do better than ChessBase alone, and the main goal is different :D
Well, the 'online tournaments' will always invent new formats ;-)
(TCEC, CCCC, you name it)
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

Post Reply