XBoard compiling

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Look
Full name: Mehdi Amini

XBoard compiling

Post by Look »

Hi,
  • Can I create a Code::Blocks project add sources and compile XBoard or I have to follow "INSTALL" file instructions only ?
  • Is there any conflict between XBoard package that I installed using "Synaptic package manager" and the ones I may compile on this PC ?
Farewell.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: XBoard compiling

Post by hgm »

Normally installs from the official distro packages go into /usr/bin or /usr/games, while installs from source go into /usr/local/bin. Likewise for the accompanying data files (/usr/share vs. /usr/local/share). So there is no collision between the files. But the names are the same, so when you when you issue the command 'xboard' it depends on the order these directories are mentioned in your $PATH which one will be executed. You can still execute the other one by typing its full path name.

I don't know code::blocks. I suppose you could make a XBoard a project for it, but it is not one of the supported platforms. (So no project file for it is included, like there is for MSVC.) Using the standard install procedure (./configure; make; sudo make install) should be completely trivial, though. If ./configure would complain about missing packages, (like libraries) you could not compile otherwise without first installing these packages too.