XBoard GTK

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Look
Full name: Mehdi Amini

Re: XBoard GTK

Post by Look »

hgm wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:14 pm That is strange, because it says "0 errors", and warnings alone should not prevent creation of an executable. And I don't see any warnings from the linking phase (CCLD). Are you sure you are lookig for it in the right place? Do you see all the .o files that are produced by the CC commands?
I am seeing many object files with the extension of .o .

Also I observe that there is a file called xboard that :

Parent folder : /home/mehdi/Documents/Code_Blocks_Projects/xboard_fork

Type : shared library (application/x-sharedlib)

I can now run it using terminal . fairymax does not load correctly . Pieces are not shown. The icon for the file is not shown either .
Farewell.
Look

Post by Look »

Also running xboard I get this :

Code: Select all

:~$ '/home/mehdi/Documents/Code_Blocks_Projects/xboard_fork/xboard' 
Gtk-Message: 19:48:28.871: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
No default pieces installed!
Select your own using '-pieceImageDirectory'. (Pawn)

Farewell.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Sounds like you did not install it. Normally this is done by "sudo make install". This command would place the XBoard binary where it belongs, as well as the data files that XBoard needs in order to run. (The image files for the pieces, background bitmaps for the board, the master settings file, the icon images used in the Engine Output window...) It also takes care of the various mime-type definitions (PGN, FEN, EPD, TRN, XOP), and their associations with icons and XBoard (so that XBoard will be launched to open a PGN file when you click the latter, etc.).
Look

Post by Look »

hgm wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:58 pm Sounds like you did not install it. Normally this is done by "sudo make install". This command would place the XBoard binary where it belongs, as well as the data files that XBoard needs in order to run. (The image files for the pieces, background bitmaps for the board, the master settings file, the icon images used in the Engine Output window...) It also takes care of the various mime-type definitions (PGN, FEN, EPD, TRN, XOP), and their associations with icons and XBoard (so that XBoard will be launched to open a PGN file when you click the latter, etc.).
I executed "sudo make install" as a post build step in Code::Blocks . Now I get an executable in /usr/local/bin . It has no icon and the settings seem shared with original xboard. Also it is considered as of Type "shared library (application/x-sharedlib)" . Are these supposed to be so ?
Farewell.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Not sure about this sharedlib stuff. If you can execute it it seems to me it is by definition an executable, and the identification of MIME types on your system is somehow messed up.

Executables normally do not have icons associated with them in Linux. You are not normally expected to see them; no one would open /usr/local/bin to see what is there. They would be flooded with stuff they have no idea what it is for.

For starting XBoard with a mouse click there are .desktop files, which can specify their own icon for disply on the desktop, and the command they should execute. (I suppose these are the equivalent of Windows shortcuts.) The XBoard source distro does contain a desktop file for this purpose, but I don't think the install automatically puts that on your desktop.