hash collisions

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5153
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: hash collisions

Post by Rebel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:47 am

abulmo2 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 am
Rebel wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:19 am
abulmo2 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:08 pm
Rebel wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:56 pm
As lone individuals writing chess engines we don't have the resources to do expensive, time consuming test methodologies, beta test procedures before we release.
In writing Amoeba, as a lone individual, I spent 99.9% of my time testing and 0.1% writing code. I have limited financial resources, but I have an invaluable resource: time.
Can you elaborate what the testing is about?
I am mostly testing for enhancements with SPRT; using my own tournament manager.
My development version is also quite different to the release version, as it contains many testing code: perft, epd test, etc.
I also use a language that is probably better at reducing bugs (the D language), as it uses a garbage collector and help to write things in less line of codes.
Is my program bug free? Unfortunately not. Probably half of the Elo of my program came from bugs removal and I guess there are still many of them to suppress.
I ran the MRI tool of a match between Senpai 1.0 and Amoeba 3.1, it seems that Amoeba is lacking the wrong bishop ending knowledge, MRI reported 3 examples:

kB6/P7/8/5Kp1/6P1/8/5n2/8 w - - sm Kxg5; acd 26; ce 7.46; acs 0.3s; c0 "Amoeba_3.1 possibly missed a win in game 41 with a score of 7.46 (move 57. Kxg5) draw only.";
8/6k1/7p/8/8/5BKP/6P1/4n3 w - - sm Be4; acd 21; ce 6.59; acs 0.3s; c0 "Amoeba_3.1 possibly missed a win in game 189 with a score of 6.59 (move 53. Be4) draw only.";
8/1k6/p7/P5Kp/8/8/3B4/8 w - - sm Kxh5; acd 23; ce 7.08; acs 0.3s; c0 "Amoeba_3.1 possibly missed a win in game 871 with a score of 7.08 (move 119. Kxh5) draw only.";
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply