Endgame woes

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

silentshark

Endgame woes

Post by silentshark »

So.. how do other engine authors stop their programs slipping into obviously drawn endgames?

An example for my engine is KRB vs KR. This is often drawn (I think - anyhow my engine can't win it). The problem I have is that this endgame might be drawn or might be a win (e.g. if the opponent's rook is en prise).

I think my engine is missing some ELO by slipping into drawn endgames when it may had a win. Other engines seem to have this nailed. From their evals, for example, sometimes I will see my engine at +5 and the opponent somewhere around +0 in endgames like the above.

Mine's a 'mailbox' engine (I think that's what it's called these days, i.e. not bitboard), so I'm after hints to help sort this :-)

Thanks all,

Cheers,
Tom
xr_a_y

Re: Endgame woes

Post by xr_a_y »

I use some endgame knowledge hard coded as WIN/LOST FIDE_DRAW HARD_TO_WIN ALMOST_DRAW

and divide (or multiply) the score by some factor when this happens also taking into account 50-moves rule.

Code: Select all

if      ( MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_WhiteWinWithHelper || MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_BlackWinWithHelper ) return (white2Play?+1:-1)*(MaterialHash::helperTable[matHash](p,winningSideEG,score[sc_Mat][EG]));
          else if ( MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_Draw)         { if (!isAttacked(p, kingSquare(p))) return context.drawScore(); }
          else if ( MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_MaterialDraw) { if (!isAttacked(p, kingSquare(p))) return context.drawScore(); }
          else if ( MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_WhiteWin || MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_BlackWin) score.scalingFactor = 5 - 5*p.fifty/100.f;
          else if ( MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_HardToWin)  score.scalingFactor = 0.5f - 0.5f*(p.fifty/100.f);
          else if ( MEntry.t == MaterialHash::Ter_LikelyDraw) score.scalingFactor = 0.3f - 0.3f*(p.fifty/100.f);
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

I scale down the closer to 50 move rule it gets.

And I scale down also when material is close and looks drawish.
https://github.com/SamuraiDangyo/Sapeli ... li.c#L2302

Code: Select all

static void Eval_drawish()
{
  if ( ! (BRD->white[0] | BRD->black[0])) // No pawns
    EVAL_DRAWISH_FACTOR = 2;
  else if (POPCOUNT(BRD->white[1] | BRD->white[2] | BRD->white[3] | BRD->white[4]) == 1 // Both have only 1 minor/major left
       &&  POPCOUNT(BRD->black[1] | BRD->black[2] | BRD->black[3] | BRD->black[4]) == 1)
    EVAL_DRAWISH_FACTOR = 3;
}
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

silentshark wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:22 am So.. how do other engine authors stop their programs slipping into obviously drawn endgames?

An example for my engine is KRB vs KR. This is often drawn (I think - anyhow my engine can't win it). The problem I have is that this endgame might be drawn or might be a win (e.g. if the opponent's rook is en prise).
krbkr is indeed very difficult to win. Here are the conditions to win.
1. The IK (inferior king - materially inferior side) must be driven to the edge of the board.
2. The SK (superior king) must be very close to the IK.
3. The SR (superior rook) must guard the rank so that the IK cannot escape from the edge of the board, and drive out the IR.

If those conditions are present, give some bonus otherwise scale down the score by a factor of 8 or so.

Sample position that was already known in the 18th century, analyzed by Philidor.

[d]3k4/4r3/3K4/3B4/8/8/8/5R2 w - - c0 "KRBvKR, Philidor position, white wins";

Even when IK is already at the edge of the board, it is not enough to win if SK is far from IK and IR is actively preventing SK to get closer to IK.

[d]4k3/6R1/8/4K3/4B3/8/4r3/8 w - - c0 "KRBvKR, Cochrane defence position, black can draw";

Ref: 100 Endgames You Must Know, by Jesus de la Villa
I have the 3rd Edition. Good book for players and programmers who likes to implement endings on their engine.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I always use a method I learned from Fruit: multiply the naive eval by a factor < 1 when the material combination is recognized as drawis. There are several classes of drawishness: without Pawns and not more than a minor ahead is divided by 8, and end-games that can convert to it by sacrificing away the last Pawn (so with 1 Pawn for the leading side and an extra minor for the lagging side) get a factor 0.5. When after the sacrifice a dead draw (like KNK) would result, it gets a factor 0.25. Dead draws get a factor 0, and also cut off the search. Other end-games where the leading side has no Pawns get a factor 0.5, as do unlike-Bishop end-games with not more than 2 Pawns difference. I usually make an exception for known wins against a bare King; KQK, KRK, KBBK and KBNK are not drawish.

Except for the draws the search is not affected, so if the position is not quiet and quickly converts to a more favorable one, the search will discover it.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

This is cool feedback, thanks guys.

One challenge I have is that it's not cheap to calculate the material position (i.e. how many pieces each side has). Maybe I should look at material tables etc.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Piece square table is all you need to create a bad engine. I added material points to values of piece square table as well
jdart

Post by jdart »

hgm wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:25 pm I always use a method I learned from Fruit: multiply the naive eval by a factor < 1 when the material combination is recognized as drawis
I do something like that. See adjustMaterialScore and adjustMaterialScoreNoPawns in https://github.com/jdart1/arasan-chess/ ... coring.cpp. I also support tablebases, though, which of course are more accurate for configurations that result in a hit.

--Jon
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

silentshark wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 pm This is cool feedback, thanks guys.

One challenge I have is that it's not cheap to calculate the material position (i.e. how many pieces each side has). Maybe I should look at material tables etc.
Gull material table is the way to go I think, with incremental material update.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

jdart wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:18 am
hgm wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:25 pm I always use a method I learned from Fruit: multiply the naive eval by a factor < 1 when the material combination is recognized as drawis
I do something like that. See adjustMaterialScore and adjustMaterialScoreNoPawns in https://github.com/jdart1/arasan-chess/ ... coring.cpp. I also support tablebases, though, which of course are more accurate for configurations that result in a hit.

--Jon
I will take a look, thanks. @hgm, when you write 'naive eval' I assume you mean the material + positional eval, and that's what gets adjusted?