On-line engine blitz tourney July

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Joost Buijs
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Joost Buijs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm

There is a very strange issue with the server at the moment. The only thing that has changed is mamer, In the mamer config header I increased the max. number of rounds from 10 to 12 and recompiled. We also run a test tourney with 20 players and that went fine.

My guess is that the old mamer is compiled with a very old version of GCC, I used a much newer version of GCC to compile mamer and this probably breaks something. The Lasker/Capablanca server software is very sensitive to strange inputs, I think the recompiled mamer sends something to the server that it does not like, or maybe it has an issue with the increased max. number of rounds from 10 to 12, but that should not crash the server.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Joost Buijs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:54 pm

After replacing mamer with the old one everything was stable again. Because we lost half an hour due to all the issues we decided to play nine rounds.

In the end Belfish ended on top.

Nightmare was very lucky this time and had a chance to win the tourney, unfortunately he (or it) dropped a half point with a book repetition against Goldbar. I played with exactly the same engine as last month with only a very small change in lazy-smp which somehow makes that it looks deeper than before.

There are 5 engines on a shared third place, the level at the top seems to be very close.

Code: Select all

:Tourney Players: Round 9 of 9 
:
:     Name              Rating Score Perfrm Upset  Results 
:     ----------------- ------ ----- ------ ------ ------- 
:  1 +BelFish           [2959]  7.0  [3036] [  59] =14w +07b =02w +12b +09w =03b =04w +05b +06w 
:  2 +NightmareX        [2844]  6.5  [2975] [ 432] +26w =03b =01b +18w +08w =04b +05w =09b =11w 
:  3 +LczTinker         [3055]  5.5  [2979] [   0] +18w =02w =06b +17w =05b =01w +11b =04w *08b 
:  4 +Honey             [2982]  5.5  [2955] [  36] =07w =06b +14w +11w +13b =02w =01b =03b *09w 
:  5 +Schooner          [2926]  5.5  [2832] [  68] +20w +17w =13b =08b =03w +07w -02b -01w +15b 
:  6 +WaspX             [2846]  5.5  [2871] [ 288] +22b =04w =03w -10b +14b +08w =09w +17b -01b 
:  7 +atomNightmare     [2600]  5.5  [2720] [ 344] =04b -01w +23b +19w +10w -05b -08b +18w +16w 
:  8 +ArasanX           [2934]  5.0  [2839] [   0] +19w +10w =09b =05w -02b -06b +07w +12b *03w
:  9 +LeelaRB           [2902]  5.0  [2881] [  16] +15w +11b =08w =13w -01b +17w =06b =02w *04b 
: 10 +Marvin            [2749]  5.0  [2620] [  97] +16w -08b =19w +06w -07b =12b =15w =11b +18b 
: 11 +Goldbar           [2736]  5.0  [2712] [ 189] +24b -09w +21w -04b +15w +13b -03w =10w =02b 
: 12 +WaDuuttie         [2635]  5.0  [2512] [  57] +25b -13b +22w -01w =18b =10w +21b -08w +24b 
: 13 -Nemorino          [2865]  4.5  [2615] [  48] +21b +12w =05w =09b -04w -11w -18b =19b +23w 
: 14 +atomGoldbar       [2541]  4.5  [2456] [ 240] =01b =18w -04b +22b -06w =16w -17b +26w +25b 
: 15 +rpiArminius       [2329]  4.5  [2518] [ 249] -09b +24w -17b +16w -11b +22w =10b +20w -05w 
: 16 +RavenEngine       [2080]  4.5  [2287] [ 452] -10b -19b +25w -15b +24w =14b +23w +21w -07b
: 17 +Amoeba            [2739]  4.0  [2617] [   0] +23w -05b +15w -03b +21w -09b +14w -06w *19b 
: 18 +Arminius          [2604]  4.0  [2630] [ 276] -03b =14b +20w -02b =12w +19b +13w -07b -10w 
: 19 +CoronaVirusChess  [2416]  4.0  [2535] [ 390] -08b +16w =10b -07b +20w -18w +26b =13w *17w 
: 20 +Myrddin           [2368]  4.0  [2234] [   0] -05b =23w -18b +26w -19b =21w +25b -15b +22w 
: 21 +CTdccc            [2302]  3.5  [2257] [  33] -13w +25w -11b +24w -17b =20b -12w -16b +26b 
: 22 +feligres          [2186]  3.5  [2183] [   0] -06w +26b -12b -14w +23b -15b =24w +25w -20b 
: 23 +Abbess            [2038]  3.0  [2148] [ 211] -17b =20b -07w +25b -22w +26w -16b =24w -13b 
: 24 +Skiull            [1982]  3.0  [2091] [ 232] -11w -15b +26w -21b -16b +25w =22b =23b -12w
: 25 -Skipper           [1629]  1.0  [1935] [ 455] -12w -21b -16b -23w +26b -24b -20w -22b -14w 
: 26 +atomSargonI       [2084]  0.0  [1856] [   0] -02b -22w -24b -20b -25w -23b -19w -14b -21w 
:
:     Average Rating    2551.2

Modern Times
Posts: 2568
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Modern Times » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 pm

LeelaRB was playing on a low cost Ryzen 7 3700U laptop, using the DX12 version of v 0.26.0 running on the integrated Vega 10 graphics. It lost one game horribly, not sure why that was, but otherwise it seemed to play pretty well.
.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 24651
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by hgm » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 pm

Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 pm
I assume that all mamer commands remain the same, and that it is just a small modification to the Swiss format?
Indeed, for the tourney type you can also choose 'm' for McMahon, next to 's' for Swiss and 'r' for round robin.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Joost Buijs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 am

Modern Times wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 pm
LeelaRB was playing on a low cost Ryzen 7 3700U laptop, using the DX12 version of v 0.26.0 running on the integrated Vega 10 graphics. It lost one game horribly, not sure why that was, but otherwise it seemed to play pretty well.
Before the tournament Nightmare played some games against LeelaRB and I noticed that a few times Leela came out of book in a (tactically) lost position, maybe this happened at that one game too.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Joost Buijs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:54 am

hgm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 pm
Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 pm
I assume that all mamer commands remain the same, and that it is just a small modification to the Swiss format?
Indeed, for the tourney type you can also choose 'm' for McMahon, next to 's' for Swiss and 'r' for round robin.
I will discuss it with Liesebeth.

First I have to find out what went wrong after I recompiled mamer with the max. number of rounds increased to 12. What I can think of is, that it is possible that it was compiled for 64 bit and that this breaks something, I have to look at the make file to check this. On the other hand it is very sloppy that a remote program can bring the server on it's knees.

I rebuild mamer with:

autoreconv -f -i
./configure "$@"
make clean
make -f makefile -j2

It compiled without a hitch. Liesebeth played a test tourney with 20 players and 11 rounds, that went fine too, so I assumed it all worked.

I noticed that the server (chessd) is very susceptible to malformed input, this is something that needs to be solved too.

Modern Times
Posts: 2568
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Modern Times » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:44 am

Joost Buijs wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 am
Modern Times wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 pm
LeelaRB was playing on a low cost Ryzen 7 3700U laptop, using the DX12 version of v 0.26.0 running on the integrated Vega 10 graphics. It lost one game horribly, not sure why that was, but otherwise it seemed to play pretty well.
Before the tournament Nightmare played some games against LeelaRB and I noticed that a few times Leela came out of book in a (tactically) lost position, maybe this happened at that one game too.
Yes I think that was indeed the case.
.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

chrisw
Posts: 3352
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by chrisw » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:02 pm

Fun tournament, mine was with no opening book, no threads code and came in the bottom half on its first outing, but I quite liked this game (playing white). Not sure how sound was 12 Nxd4, the game flashes by too fast to analyse in real time, but I figured the exchange sac was on the cards at that point. Stockfish prefers Rxd4


User avatar
JVMerlino
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by JVMerlino » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 pm

chrisw wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:02 pm
Fun tournament, mine was with no opening book, no threads code and came in the bottom half on its first outing, but I quite liked this game (playing white). Not sure how sound was 12 Nxd4, the game flashes by too fast to analyse in real time, but I figured the exchange sac was on the cards at that point. Stockfish prefers Rxd4
That looks like the game against Myrddin. :oops: Myrddin's horrifically bad king safety code strikes again....

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5349
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Rebel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:23 am

Seems Chris is working on the long awaited Chess System Tal III :D
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply