romantic-style play

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
smcracraft
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Orange County California
Full name: Stuart Cracraft
Contact:

romantic-style play

Post by smcracraft » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:27 am

I am always looking for ideas to make my chess program more "romantic" by making speculative sacrifices which lead into huge variations to confuse HUMAN (not computer) opponents, with the only player of the program being me, your 'umble programmer.

If anyone has suggestions on how to do SPECULATIVE sacrifices into large variation trees with many likely branches but not easy to compute in the usual 10-30 ply, I am all ears.

Thanks.

syzygy
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: romantic-style play

Post by syzygy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:14 am

Overevaluate the opponent's "king unsafety" by a lot.

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 17329
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: romantic-style play

Post by mclane » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 pm

Ask Chris w.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5349
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: romantic-style play

Post by Rebel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:16 am

1. What syzygy said.

2. From the final evaluation score subtract the material, what is left is the pure positional evaluation of the position. Multiply this value by a parameter and add it to the final evaluation score. The effect of a parameter value < 0.00 will result in a more defensive playing style while values > 0.00 will make an engine more aggressive. For instance, when 1.e4 normally scores (say) 0.20, a parameter of 0.30 will produce a score for 1. e4 as 0.26, a parameter of -0.60 and 1.e4 will be 0.08.

3. Count advantances. playing normal chess - when your king safety is better than the opponent PLUS your mobility is better PLUS you have a good passed pawn and your opponent has not PLUS you have a strong knight output PLUS you have the bishop pair than usually you have a won position. The basic idea is to count the number of advantages and apply a bonus with the number of advantages as an index to a table. Do this for white and black.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply