CuteChess game terminations

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
chrisw

CuteChess game terminations

Post by chrisw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:05 pm

I have a game running in cutechess (graphics mode) with high count of continuous 0.0 evals (moves 48 to 98, both sides). Tournament mode, I have it set at draw adjudication movenumber 48, movecount 10, score 0 cp, which I took to mean that after movenumber 48 it will check for a continuous series of ten 0 cp scores and then declar (adjudicated) DRAW. Only It doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: CuteChess game terminations

Post by Guenther » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 pm

chrisw wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:05 pm
I have a game running in cutechess (graphics mode) with high count of continuous 0.0 evals (moves 48 to 98, both sides). Tournament mode, I have it set at draw adjudication movenumber 48, movecount 10, score 0 cp, which I took to mean that after movenumber 48 it will check for a continuous series of ten 0 cp scores and then declar (adjudicated) DRAW. Only It doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
Cutechess Help (=Tooltip) wrote:The scores of both players need to be within the chosen threshold for this many consecutive moves. Captures and pawn moves will reset the counters.
BTW I would not use '0', especially if you wanna speed up testing. As it already compares both scores range, why not sth around 5-15cp?
If you test against other engines, you sometimes won't get 0 at all, if they add a static bonus or contempt, even in dead draw positions.
https://rwbc-chess.de
Greg Strong@ovyron wrote: What I think is that you have a very, very, VERY strong desire to post, and very little self-control.
All the time. In every conversation. You must post. Something. It's like you just can't help yourself.

chrisw

Re: CuteChess game terminations

Post by chrisw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Guenther wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 pm
chrisw wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:05 pm
Cutechess Help (=Tooltip) wrote:The scores of both players need to be within the chosen threshold for this many consecutive moves. Captures and pawn moves will reset the counters.
BTW I would not use '0', especially if you wanna speed up testing. As it already compares both scores range, why not sth around 5-15cp?
If you test against other engines, you sometimes won't get 0 at all, if they add a static bonus or contempt, even in dead draw positions.
Ah, okay, thanks, I'll try with range. Also hadn't realised there was a reset on non-reversibles. Normally I use the non-graphical cli for mass testing, but sometimes it's useful to watch single games (40 in 15mins) looking at respective depths, main lines, blunders and so on. Quick enough to give results, but slow enough to make sense of in realtime.