JS Schach's alpha-beta approximation

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

Re: JS Schach's alpha-beta approximation

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Roland Chastain wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:04 pm
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am Further the cut-off conditions seem too weak to me >= instead of >, or <= instead of <
https://github.com/rchastain/moustique/ ... e.pas#L417
If I understand correctly, you would suggest to try the following modification?

Code: Select all

if FActive = AColor then
    begin
      if LValue > LBeta then
        LBeta := LValue;
      if LBeta >= AAlpha then
        LStop := TRUE;
    end else
    begin
      if LValue < LBeta then
      if LBeta <= AAlpha then
    end;
I could try it at once.
Yes
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Gerd Isenberg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:07 pmFixed depth of 3 without iterative deepening and max depth 5 for captures should be quite fast. And at that depth the deficits missing deep cutoffs is not that important.
I modified my engine to overwrite alpha with -MAX in search and QS. Main depth (without QS) 4 is about even, 5 takes 50% longer, 6 three times as long, and it goes downhills from there. A match over 500 games at 10 seconds per game (no depth limitation) shows a loss of 436 Elo.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Ras wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:43 pm
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:07 pmFixed depth of 3 without iterative deepening and max depth 5 for captures should be quite fast. And at that depth the deficits missing deep cutoffs is not that important.
I modified my engine to overwrite alpha with -MAX in search and QS. Main depth (without QS) 4 is about even, 5 takes 50% longer, 6 three times as long, and it goes downhills from there. A match over 500 games at 10 seconds per game (no depth limitation) shows a loss of 436 Elo.
Interesting. Guess when you replace score >= beta by score > beta it is even worse.
Ras

Post by Ras »

Gerd Isenberg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:52 pmInteresting. Guess when you replace score >= beta by score > beta it is even worse.
With that change in addition, depth 5 stays at about +50% time while depth 6 is already four times as much, so that's worse. The same match now loses 512 Elo, i.e. even more, but that could as well be statistical noise with just 500 games.
Rasmus Althoff
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

I made an experimental version on the engine with this modification:

if FActive = AColor then
    begin
      if LValue > LBeta then
      if (LBeta > AAlpha) or (LBeta = AAlpha) and (ADepth > 2) then
    end else
    begin
      if LValue < LBeta then
      if (LBeta < AAlpha) or (LBeta = AAlpha) and (ADepth > 2) then
    end;
(Without the limitation to depth > 2, the engine was playing illegal moves.)

In the current state of the program, it doesn't make any perceptible difference, but I will try to find a way to make the difference visible. I think of improving the log file, so that one can see the number of nodes.

@Ras
I have to explore your program. Until now, I just explored your Linux scripts, where I learned many things. :)

Thank you both for that very interesting discussion.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Ras

Post by Ras »

Roland Chastain wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:54 pmIn the current state of the program, it doesn't make any perceptible difference
I think that's because my program searches only the first move in a node with full window of (alpha; beta) while the others have a scout window of (alpha-1; alpha). The test change was equivalent to removing the scout window and replacing it with (-INF; alpha), which is why the difference is so pronounced. If you don't have such a scouting yet, then the difference won't have that much of an impact.
I have to explore your program. Until now, I just explored your Linux scripts, where I learned many things. :)
Thanks. :)
Rasmus Althoff
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

hgm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:21 am As to avoiding negamax: it requires all code that appears in duplicate to be split into separate sections for max- and the min-player, differing only in the < and > operators. For a very basic search this is not really a problem (the required single conditional is easily predicted). But in principle isuch duplication makes the code more difficult to maintain, as there is no guarantee both sections will always remain equivalent. And in more advanced search, where there are more score-based decisions, such duplications woul pop up all over the place.
Lol, this is what my program does, and has always done. That's because it was written in the early 1990's, and I was trying to figure all this stuff out without knowing what other programs did. I wrote stuff based on the ideas in Levy's 'How Computers Play Chess' book, and it remains in that kind of limbo state for ever more. :-)
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Roland Chastain wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:54 pm I made an experimental version on the engine with this modification:

if FActive = AColor then
    begin
      if LValue > LBeta then
      if (LBeta > AAlpha) or (LBeta = AAlpha) and (ADepth > 2) then
    end else
    begin
      if LValue < LBeta then
      if (LBeta < AAlpha) or (LBeta = AAlpha) and (ADepth > 2) then
    end;
(Without the limitation to depth > 2, the engine was playing illegal moves.)
That looks like an unrelated bug to me.
In the current state of the program, it doesn't make any perceptible difference, but I will try to find a way to make the difference visible. I think of improving the log file, so that one can see the number of nodes.

@Ras

Thank you both for that very interesting discussion.
You are welcome.
Roland Chastain

Gerd Isenberg wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:44 pm That looks like an unrelated bug to me.
Maybe. I would need to check again the code. If I remember correctly, the same procedure that searches for the best move is also used to evaluate moves legality. Inside the procedure the capture of the king is allowed. An illegal move is just considered as a very bad move. So I imagine that if the tree is cut too low, the program becomes blind to "check after move" situations.
Roland Chastain

Gerd Isenberg wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am Yep, alpha beta have reversed semantics. Larger search tree due to missing deep cutoffs. Further the cut-off conditions seem too weak to me >= instead of >, or <= instead of <
https://github.com/rchastain/moustique/ ... e.pas#L417
One year later, I found a (very simple) way to accurately measure the effect of this change. The result is that the program plays the same moves, but two or three times faster! :)

Commit.

Thanks again Gerd.