YBW engines past and present?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IanKennedy

YBW engines past and present?

Post by IanKennedy »

Stockfish 6 used YBW and ditched it in favour of lazy SMP for SF7. I downloaded it the other day to see how it looks and was wondering what other available engines/builds there are that use it? Doesn't have to be a recent version as long as it builds and runs ok.
Author of the actively developed PSYCHO chess engine
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: YBW engines past and present?

Post by mar »

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 am Stockfish 6 used YBW and ditched it in favour of lazy SMP for SF7. I downloaded it the other day to see how it looks and was wondering what other available engines/builds there are that use it? Doesn't have to be a recent version as long as it builds and runs ok.
Crafty, Scorpio and Dirty come to mind (unless I'm mistaken and something has changed), I'm pretty sure there's more that I forgot.
Martin Sedlak
IanKennedy

Post by IanKennedy »

mar wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:38 pm
IanKennedy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 am Stockfish 6 used YBW and ditched it in favour of lazy SMP for SF7. I downloaded it the other day to see how it looks and was wondering what other available engines/builds there are that use it? Doesn't have to be a recent version as long as it builds and runs ok.
Crafty, Scorpio and Dirty come to mind (unless I'm mistaken and something has changed), I'm pretty sure there's more that I forgot.
I thought I read in the archives that Crafty used something of its own called DTS? (Distributed Tree Search).
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:30 pm I thought I read in the archives that Crafty used something of its own called DTS? (Distributed Tree Search).
Bob came up with DTS, but I think Crafty uses YBW, I might be wrong though, Bob will know for sure
Martin Sedlak
jdart

Post by jdart »

Arasan used YBW before version 21.0. I don't think Crafty uses DTS - I think that was a Cray Blitz thing - but the last few versions do have some interesting mods to multithreading.

--Jon
IanKennedy

Post by IanKennedy »

jdart wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:15 pm Arasan used YBW before version 21.0. I don't think Crafty uses DTS - I think that was a Cray Blitz thing - but the last few versions do have some interesting mods to multithreading.

--Jon
That's useful to know thanks. My own program Psycho has an inefficient algorithm which could be described as YBW and also uses the idea of the 'helpful master' except mine hinders rather than helps. It was written originally for a dual processor PC in the 90s but now with lots of cores it would probably improve simply by not allocating search tasks to the master at all...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Did you try LazySMP?
Easy as falling off of a log and seems to work really well.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
IanKennedy

Post by IanKennedy »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:55 pm Did you try LazySMP?
It's an option but I quite like the idea of refining the current algorithm first.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

IanKennedy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:07 pm
It's an option but I quite like the idea of refining the current algorithm first.
ZCT by Zach Wegner used DTS:
https://github.com/zwegner/zct
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Sesse

Post by Sesse »

It's insane that seemingly small tweaks to what was considered the worst-scaling algorithm (shared hash table) somehow produces the best one.