Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition Mods

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ULTRACASTLE00
Full name: Daniel Chancey

Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition Mods

Post by ULTRACASTLE00 »

I was wondering what kind of mods are available for the Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition, or if new mods could be created.

I, for one, would like to see tournament games being autoplayed, like it was back with Chessmaster 9000.
frankiekam
Full name: Frankie Kam

Re: Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition Mods

Post by frankiekam »

Hi ULTRACASTLE00

I've created two 2D chess sets that mimick two very popular online chess platoforms, complete with sound effects. I've also dabbled in 3D chess set modding and have created a TopGun themed 3D chess set for Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition. See here for more details.

Regards
Frankie "Durian Defense" Kam
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

I'm 99% sure that a "mod" to allow for automated tournaments is not possible in CM:GM. I wasn't even sure that user-created chess sets were a possibility. But it's nice to hear that they are, and most of those sets are really well done!

Too bad every version after CM9 was buggy. :( :wink:
frankiekam

Post by frankiekam »

Hi JVMerlino

Thanks for your kind comments on the sets.

Yes, CM 9000 allowed automated engine vs engine tournaments. Why CM 10 and CM:GM Ed turned an automated process into to a manual one is beyond me. Why? Why!???

Another annoying feature of CM:GM Ed is you have to mouse-click your way though a game's move list. So imagine a game that lasts 100 moves. We're talking about 200 mouse-clicks(!). Every other software I know allows you to move through the move list with the Up and Down arrow keys. Yes, that's the type of mod or improvement that one would expect from a patch.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft never patched it beyond Version 1.2.0. What CM 9000 lacked visually as compared to the later editions, CM900 more than made up with its features that weren't broke (until the Version 10 and beyond).

Somewhere out there lies the source code. And someone who knows how to write code. In the meantime, at least we can still enjoy chess with the software that we have.

To end on a positive note, I would say that CM 10's and CM:GM Edition's super-easy way of allowing first-time modders like me to churn out custom 2D and 3D sets is to be applauded. In no other chess software can I find the chameleon-like ability to make the 2D sets look some something else. For the first time since forever, I do not have to settle with ornate and intricately designed, but totally useless out-of-the-box 2D or 3D chess sets. Instead I can design my own set and within two hours (with interruptions from the family members and work), I have a custom chess set that looks good to me. Whether it looks good to another person is another matter! Only CM 10 and CM:GM Edition allows me to express my creative skills in the form of a custom 2D chess set that I can call my own, and which allows me to enjoy Ubisoft's game, and chess, more.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

frankiekam wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:24 pm Hi JVMerlino

Thanks for your kind comments on the sets.

Yes, CM 9000 allowed automated engine vs engine tournaments. Why CM 10 and CM:GM Ed turned an automated process into to a manual one is beyond me. Why? Why!???

Another annoying feature of CM:GM Ed is you have to mouse-click your way though a game's move list. So imagine a game that lasts 100 moves. We're talking about 200 mouse-clicks(!). Every other software I know allows you to move through the move list with the Up and Down arrow keys. Yes, that's the type of mod or improvement that one would expect from a patch.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft never patched it beyond Version 1.2.0. What CM 9000 lacked visually as compared to the later editions, CM900 more than made up with its features that weren't broke (until the Version 10 and beyond).

Somewhere out there lies the source code. And someone who knows how to write code. In the meantime, at least we can still enjoy chess with the software that we have.

To end on a positive note, I would say that CM 10's and CM:GM Edition's super-easy way of allowing first-time modders like me to churn out custom 2D and 3D sets is to be applauded. In no other chess software can I find the chameleon-like ability to make the 2D sets look some something else. For the first time since forever, I do not have to settle with ornate and intricately designed, but totally useless out-of-the-box 2D or 3D chess sets. Instead I can design my own set and within two hours (with interruptions from the family members and work), I have a custom chess set that looks good to me. Whether it looks good to another person is another matter! Only CM 10 and CM:GM Edition allows me to express my creative skills in the form of a custom 2D chess set that I can call my own, and which allows me to enjoy Ubisoft's game, and chess, more.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
Part of the reason, I would guess, is that CM10 was the first version done with a Ubisoft development team. My last job as Project Manager for CM9 was to archive all of the source code and data and send it to the Ubisoft team in Bucharest. They never asked any questions about it, even though I offered to assist in any way I could. Unfortunately, when I found that CM10 was buggy in some very basic features, and CMGM was also buggy (but less so), I knew that Ubisoft didn't really have much desire to continue with the franchise's quality. :(

jm
frankiekam

Post by frankiekam »

Hi JVMerlino

I didn't realise that you were the PM of CM9! That makes me want to re-install CM9 and check it out again. Thank you for sharing the anecdotes.
I note with interest that Wikipedia states "2002: Ubisoft publishes Chessmaster 9000 for Windows 98/ME/XP".

Regards
Frankie Kam
Malaysia
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

frankiekam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:52 pm Hi JVMerlino

I didn't realise that you were the PM of CM9! That makes me want to re-install CM9 and check it out again. Thank you for sharing the anecdotes.
I note with interest that Wikipedia states "2002: Ubisoft publishes Chessmaster 9000 for Windows 98/ME/XP".

Regards
Frankie Kam
Malaysia
Yes, the original publishers of Chessmaster were The Software Toolworks, back in 1986. They purchased Mindscape, and we changed our name to Mindscape because they had a more recognizable name in computer gaming. We were bought by a British publishing company called Pearson in 1994, and then bought by The Learning Company (TLC) in 1998, and then TLC was bought by Mattel in 1999 and we became part of Mattel Interactive. That was a massive disaster, and TLC was sold to another corporation known as Gores Technology Group, who was known for buying struggling companies and selling pieces off for a profit.

The entertainment (games) half of TLC was then sold to Ubisoft in 2001 (the education half was sold to Riverdeep). We were in the early stages of working on CM9 at the time. Ubisoft was very good to us, as they gave the CM team (only four people) our own office near where we lived. But the understanding was that we would be laid off when we finished CM9. I had been part of the team since CM5500, and was the PM for both CM8 and CM9.

It was a long journey, but very fun. :)

jm