WCCC 2007

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: WCCC 2007

Post by Dann Corbit »

Nice that they have finally decided to adhere to their own charter and alternate between Europe and North America.
*cough*
Tony

Post by Tony »

Reread the charter, there's no such thing in it :twisted:

Tony
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Tony wrote:Reread the charter, there's no such thing in it :twisted:

Tony
It must have been 'conveniently' rewritten then.
It has become the European championship, in reality.
Not that strong North American programs stay away in total, just that most of them do.

It would make sense to me to rotate by continent (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Oceana). We could leave Antarctica out of the mix I think.

Anyway, the CCC event more or less takes the place now anyway.
bob

Post by bob »

The lateness isn't a surprise. But I doubt I will be able to participate. It takes time to prepare, arrange for hardware, and so forth. With no official announcement yet, it is probably too late for me...
bob

Post by bob »

It was modified a few years ago after I kept pointing out the problem. Rather than do what the charter said, they made the charter say what they do.

:)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

CPU manifacturers would call this an 'Errata': they change the manual to be in accordance with the faulty hardware. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But we shouldn't be to hard on ICGA; I am sure they do not discriminate the U.S. intentionally. They are dependent on sponsoring, and if there is just no interest from the U.S... To have WCCC 2007 in Amsterdam also seems an emergency act. They apparently have no sponsor, and hold it there because it is cheap.

Does one have to be an ICGA member to participate in such events? Perhaps micro-Max wants to take a shot at the World Championship. :wink:

Without Crafty participating, it should be easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by hgm on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:The ICGA is in the final stage of negotiation for organizing the
WCCC 2007, the 12th Computer Olympiad, and an accompanying scientific workshop .
The events would take place in Amsterdam, The Netherlands at the end of June / beginning of July 2007.
Further details will be announced as soon as possible.

http://www.cs.unimaas.nl/icga/

It is nice to get lots of notice?!
I notice the page has been updated to say:

The ICGA has concluded the negotiation for organizing the
WCCC 2007, the 12th Computer Olympiad, and an accompanying scientific workshop .
The events will take place in Amsterdam, The Netherlands,
sometime in the third and fourth week of June 2007.
An excursion will be scheduled for all interested participants.
Further details will be announced as soon as possible.
bob

Post by bob »

You do have to be an ICGA member to participate... but it is not horribly expensive to join. It just costs a small fortune to attend an event that is a long way away and which lasts for almost 2 weeks including travel time.
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:You do have to be an ICGA member to participate... but it is not horribly expensive to join. It just costs a small fortune to attend an event that is a long way away and which lasts for almost 2 weeks including travel time.
Which is ridiculous when you have a full time job like I do, with such short notice. Bob I hope to meet you in China - have you heard any firm dates for this yet - in my job I need to give lots of notice!

Last time I looked at the website China is confirmed but in a huge 2 month window.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Tony wrote:Reread the charter, there's no such thing in it :twisted:

Tony
It must have been 'conveniently' rewritten then.
It has become the European championship, in reality.
Not that strong North American programs stay away in total, just that most of them do.

It would make sense to me to rotate by continent (North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Oceana). We could leave Antarctica out of the mix I think.

Anyway, the CCC event more or less takes the place now anyway.
I am no supporter (nor even a member) of the ICGA, and I can easily understand the frustration of the American programmers, but the CCC can never take the place of the WCCC. An online tournament is unfathomably dull compared to any over-the-board tournament. I wouldn't cry if the ICGA died, but it would be very sad if the computer chess tournaments of the future will take place on chess servers.

Tord