To put everything into place with Strelka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Thank you Alexander

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Sylwy wrote:Happy to read a such well-mannered, honest & professional man like you.A true German spirit !
Hello Sylwy,

I guess you don't read german forums :D

Best,
Alex
:lol:

Very true......

Regards

Conk
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

No need to be sorry, I just wanted to tell that there are germans without good behaviour as well.

Best,
Alex
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Christopher Conkie wrote: :lol:

Very true......
But remember there are austrians in german forums as well :D

Best,
Alex
Christopher Conkie

Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Very true......

Best,
Alex
Dont forget the Swiss....

:)

Christopher
gerold

Post by gerold »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Very true......

Best,
Alex
Dont forget the Swiss....

:)

Christopher
And Dutch. :) :) :)
Guetti

Re: Moderation, please! (Was: Re: Correct fen)

Post by Guetti »

The loss for removing the whole thread based on the facts and information presented within the posts would indeed be...

...nil, zero, nada. :lol:

Maybe it's possible to get a better fundamented start of the discussion about Strelka in a new thread with some real arguments with clear-cut facts on both sides (and without questionable positions on one side and paparazzi photos on the other side). One can always hope.
Chan Rasjid

Post by Chan Rasjid »

Hello Tord,
...At first I saw no reason to complain about Rob's posts, as I thought nobody would take them seriously....
It seemed Rob were making statement of facts that he did decompiled both Rybka and Strelka and found both the same. It is bad taste to be frivolous in this manner.

If I were Osipov, I would'nt take the clone accusations seriously, maybe to be expected. It may be as what Sergei mentioned. Osipov(and Vasik) wanted a strongest engine. It does not matter yet that it took strelka and Rybka 50 moves to end a game when SnailChess (elo 2100) can do in 20 moves. Fine tuning can come later. The similarity could be due to the fact that Vasik and Osipov both know of a certain technique that others are not aware yet and so only these 2 engines exhibit various similarities under some situations and rightly so if both are very different from the rest of the field. Further only these 2 engines are over 1 megabyte!

I think things are getting interesting with this new Strelka giving the top engines some work to do.

Best Regards,
Rasjid
Christopher Conkie

Chan Rasjid wrote:The similarity could be due to the fact that Vasik and Osipov both know of a certain technique that others are not aware yet and so only these 2 engines exhibit various similarities under some situations and rightly so if both are very different from the rest of the field. Further only these 2 engines are over 1 megabyte!

I think things are getting interesting with this new Strelka giving the top engines some work to do.

Best Regards,
Rasjid
This is the most convincing reason in that one may try to mimic Rybka to produce another strong engine. In practise it does not work however. I think most considered this one at the outset.

If they have discovered the same thing independently it is true one might get the same results. It is unlikely but not impossible.

Anyway in the other thread it seems there will be an examination so then any speculation seems somewhat futile in the face of factual info.

Christopher
Tony Thomas

Re: To put everything into place with Strelka

Post by Tony Thomas »

Sylwy wrote:Hi !
Yes, I know-you are right with List-but Loop is a completely new chess engine !
Best to you,
Sylwy
Loop isnt even a bitboard engine.
Tony Thomas

Re: To put everything into place with Strelka

Post by Tony Thomas »

Chan Rasjid wrote:
What astonishes me: Why does the programmer do the effort to make an engine, but takes he no effort to tell something about it. For example some release notes, FAQ and so on. Confused Confused Confused Confused
Don't be surprise, I have the following and there is no readme :-

Ali, Nano, Collossus, Feuer, Naum, etc.... and you don't know what your against.

Rasjid
They might not come with a readme, but Nano is open source, Colossus got a webpage. Naum is a commercial, no reason to give away the changes, and the other two arent very strong.