Rybka @ Leiden ICT7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Vasik Rajlich

Rybka @ Leiden ICT7

Post by Vasik Rajlich »

Hi,

we have a very short write-up about Rybka in Leiden here:

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... l?tid=1041

Big thanks to Theo van Storm, the other participants, and the members of the Rybka team.

Vas
Graham Banks

Re: Rybka @ Leiden ICT7

Post by Graham Banks »

Congratulations Vas and thanks for the report.

Regards, Graham.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Congrats Vas!
VP

Post by VP »

Many congratulations Vas.
What is remarkable is the fact that this was despite loosing half a point because of technical snag in the first round.
Was this the commercial public version , or the experimental version 2.3.2?
Best Regards,

Varun

-What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things.
pijl

Post by pijl »

VP wrote: What is remarkable is the fact that this was despite loosing half a point because of technical snag in the first round.
hmm, somehow I don't like what this implies.
By playing remote you _gamble_. The limitation of the Leiden internet connection was known by the Rybka team. It's only 64kbps (ISDN line) which was shared by 3 remote connections (Rybka, Sjeng, Hiarcs), playchess broadcasts, etc. As soon as the round started they knew they could get into time trouble when the game would take long. Still they took the gamble by playing on the remote machine while they had a dual core machine available locally. If you gamble and lose, I don't feel sorry for anyone.
Richard.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

pijl wrote:
VP wrote: What is remarkable is the fact that this was despite loosing half a point because of technical snag in the first round.
hmm, somehow I don't like what this implies.
By playing remote you _gamble_. The limitation of the Leiden internet connection was known by the Rybka team. It's only 64kbps (ISDN line) which was shared by 3 remote connections (Rybka, Sjeng, Hiarcs), playchess broadcasts, etc. As soon as the round started they knew they could get into time trouble when the game would take long. Still they took the gamble by playing on the remote machine while they had a dual core machine available locally. If you gamble and lose, I don't feel sorry for anyone.
Richard.
I don't think anybody is implying anything untoward Richard.
Well done on both the draw against Rybka and your tournament performance as a whole.
And not everybody is lucky enough to have an extra little helper! :P

Regards, Graham.
Spock

Post by Spock »

pijl wrote: hmm, somehow I don't like what this implies.
Richard.
Yes, it is a risk.

Last year in Mainz, Tord used my Quad Opteron by remote. And guess what ? My internet connection went down, becuase on that day there was a major failure at one of the data centres in London. Fortunately it happened between games not during them, and Tord had a perfectly respectable local dual core machine back-up

I agree there are lots of "what ifs" in these sorts of tournaments, it is not a road that you should go down...

But if the internet conenction at the Leiden location is that bad, they should consider another venue perhaps next year
pijl

Post by pijl »

Spock wrote: But if the internet conenction at the Leiden location is that bad, they should consider another venue perhaps next year
This has been discussed last year. Not because of the internet connection, but because the price of that location went up significantly. However, it is hard to find another location that has the things you need for a computer chess tournament like a (better) internet connection, bar, sufficient space and power, in a more or less central location for an affordable price.

Let's hope they upgrade their internet connection before the next tournament ...
Richard.
Theo van der Storm

Post by Theo van der Storm »

pijl wrote:
Spock wrote: But if the internet conenction at the Leiden location is that bad, they should consider another venue perhaps next year
This has been discussed last year. Not because of the internet connection, but because the price of that location went up significantly. However, it is hard to find another location that has the things you need for a computer chess tournament like a (better) internet connection, bar, sufficient space and power, in a more or less central location for an affordable price.

Let's hope they upgrade their internet connection before the next tournament ...
Richard.
As a matter of fact this is in their plans already as we found out yesterday.
So I hope they will stick to their plan.

More criteria: Free parking space, short walking distance from parking to playing hal, an in-house chess club willing to provide chess boards and pieces.
pijl

Post by pijl »

Theo van der Storm wrote:
pijl wrote: Let's hope they upgrade their internet connection before the next tournament
As a matter of fact this is in their plans already as we found out yesterday.
So I hope they will stick to their plan.
Good news! It won't change my mind about playing on a remote machine, but at least there will be more bandwidth to provide updates to team mates at home!
Richard.