Rybka @ Leiden ICT7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Andre van Ark

Re: Rybka @ Leiden ICT7

Post by Andre van Ark »

Theo van der Storm wrote:
As a matter of fact this is in their plans already as we found out yesterday.
So I hope they will stick to their plan.

More criteria: Free parking space, short walking distance from parking to playing hal, an in-house chess club willing to provide chess boards and pieces.[/quote]

Hi Theo,

You forgot to mention the snackbar in the neighbourhood :P

Best wishes,
Andre
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Andre,

Have you noticed the two beautiful ladies in the snackbar this year!? That must be a point of attention as well :roll:

Jeroen
Theo van der Storm

Post by Theo van der Storm »

André van Ark wrote:
Theo van der Storm wrote: As a matter of fact this is in their plans already as we found out yesterday.
So I hope they will stick to their plan.

More criteria: Free parking space, short walking distance from parking to playing hal, an in-house chess club willing to provide chess boards and pieces.
Hi Theo,

You forgot to mention the snackbar in the neighbourhood :P

Best wishes,
Andre
If you mention the snackbar, e.g. with nice Indonesian chicken sate and unfortunately a bit thin sauce (and more importantly the outside fish stand on Saturday until 5pm: Dutch yummy delicacies!), than it's only fair to also mention the nice tomato soup with little meatballs and the surprisingly wide variety of alcoholic beverages sold within the venue.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Well, once the internet connection is upgraded, the venue sounds perfect then :)
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Jeroen wrote:Hi Andre,

Have you noticed the two beautiful ladies in the snackbar this year!? That must be a point of attention as well :roll:

Jeroen
They were not there on Sunday :(
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Yes it was a nice tournament and went down to the wire. My only negative thought is that more should have been done to have the games relayed "live". I know many of the participants tried there best to keep everyone updated to what was going on, but it was very difficult to figure out how the games were going until after they had ended. There was quite a bit of interest in the games and I think next time a better way of relaying the games should be sorted out.

What I would really like to know is .... what if someone decides to play DF10 and Junior and Shredder without prior permission from the authors. Would that be legal or does the author of the program have to give consent? I think it would have been nice to have Shredder, Junior and Fritz 10 playing as well. It seems that since Rybka came on the scene those big programs are hiding as much as possible.
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Looks like Fritz doesn't play in comps anymore.

But Junior and Shredder don't hide in the World Champs usually as they have a virtual oligoploy on the title (this one is short notice and I see Junior is not down yet)
Theo van der Storm

Post by Theo van der Storm »

M ANSARI wrote:Yes it was a nice tournament and went down to the wire. My only negative thought is that more should have been done to have the games relayed "live". I know many of the participants tried there best to keep everyone updated to what was going on, but it was very difficult to figure out how the games were going until after they had ended. There was quite a bit of interest in the games and I think next time a better way of relaying the games should be sorted out.

What I would really like to know is .... what if someone decides to play DF10 and Junior and Shredder without prior permission from the authors. Would that be legal or does the author of the program have to give consent? I think it would have been nice to have Shredder, Junior and Fritz 10 playing as well. It seems that since Rybka came on the scene those big programs are hiding as much as possible.
In the current setup fully automated transmission is dependent on programs writing their PGN on my local file share during the game.
Evidently remote engines cannot reach the local file share.
Some programs cannot produce updates within the same (first) game in the same file. Some programmers just don't want any network connectivity during play.
Maybe we can switch to DGT boards next time to get rid of these limitations.

The author needs to state that the operator is representing him.
The distinction with giving consent is important when titles are at stake.
An operator cannot win a title, right ?!

In a schaakcomputer-gebruikerstoernooi (chess computer user's tournament, a.k.a. "Gebruikers" or Oldies tour.) things are different.