question about symmertic evaluation

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

question about symmertic evaluation

Post by Uri Blass »

I found that my evaluation is not symmetric for white and black.

one of the reason is that in some part of my evaluation I simply calculate score from white point of view and later divide by 8

now (14>>3)=1 and (-14>>3)=-2 so I can get a different number
for white and black.

My question is how do you solve that type of problem and if there is a way to solve it without doing the code slower(of course it is easy to solve it by doing the code slower and writing something like
if (score<0)
{
score=-score;
score=score>>3;
score=-score;
}
else
score=score>>3;

I thought also about using (score+4)>>3 but in that case (12+4)>>3=2
when (-12+4)>>3=-1

Uri
Uri Blass

Re: question about symmertic evaluation

Post by Uri Blass »

The best thing that I can think about is something like this

Code: Select all

if &#40;score>0&#41;
			score+=4;
		else
			score+=3;
		return &#40;score>>3&#41;;
I wonder if you have better idea how to make it symmetric for score=X and score=-X

Maybe there is a simple library function of division that is faster
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

One idea is to avoid the asymmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 at all and to mul all other eval aspects by 8. You may add 7 if the value to shift arithmetical right 3 is negative, but this is of course more expensive.

symmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 &#58;&#58;= &#40;x + (&#40;x>>31&#41;&7&#41;) >> 3
or with respect to the value range:

symmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 &#58;&#58;= &#40;x + (&#40;unsigned&#41;x>>29&#41;) >> 3
The common approach seems to score and aggregate from white resp. black point of view and keep both values in evalScore[2] to divide both before the final difference for color's point of view:

posEval = &#40;evalScore&#91;color&#93;>>3&#41; - &#40;evalScore&#91;color^1&#93;>>3&#41;;
Gerd
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:One idea is to avoid the asymmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 at all and to mul all other eval aspects by 8. You may add 7 if the value to shift arithmetical right 3 is negative, but this is of course more expensive.

symmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 &#58;&#58;= &#40;x + (&#40;x>>31&#41;&7&#41;) >> 3

symmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 &#58;&#58;= &#40;x + (&#40;unsigned&#41;x>>29&#41;) >> 3
The common approach seems to score and aggregate from white resp. black point of view and keep both values in evalScore[2] to divide both before the final difference for color's point of view:

posEval = &#40;evalScore&#91;color&#93;>>3&#41; - &#40;evalScore&#91;color^1&#93;>>3&#41;;
Gerd
Thanks

Here is the full code that caused the problem and is about prefering pawns in the endgame

static int evalpawnrelative&#40;void&#41;
&#123;
	int score=0;
	if &#40;numpawns&#91;LIGHT&#93;!=numpawns&#91;DARK&#93;)
	&#123;
		score=&#40;24-valuepieces&#41;*&#40;numpawns&#91;LIGHT&#93;-numpawns&#91;DARK&#93;);
 		return &#40;score>>3&#41;*prefer_pawns_in_end_games;
	&#125;
	return 0;

&#125;
valuepieces can be bigger than 24 in the opening or smaller than 24 in the endgame.
The default value of prefer_pawns_in_the end_games is 1

practically the score that it returns is between -0.0475 per pawn advantage in the opening and 0.03 per pawn advantage in pawn endgames.

I can make 2 tables for pawns in the endgame and in the opening but I am not sure if it is a good idea because in many positions the number of pawns of both sides is equal so calculating 2 piece square tables when the difference between them is constant seems to be a waste of time.

Maybe I care too much about small speed change that is not very important and it is not that I really care about speed but simply that I do not like my program to be slower because of fixing a bug.

Uri
bob

Post by bob »

just don't use shift as it is not correct for positive and negative numbers.
bob

Post by bob »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:One idea is to avoid the asymmetrical arithmetical shift right 3 at all and to mul all other eval aspects by 8. You may add 7 if the value to shift arithmetical right 3 is negative, but this is of course more expensive.

Gerd
I'd be willing to bet that a plain divide will not noticably affect his overall search speed. And it will solve this correctly.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

bob wrote:

Gerd
I'd be willing to bet that a plain divide will not noticably affect his overall search speed. And it will solve this correctly.
thanks

It seems that replacing some >> by / solves the problem
of anti-symmetric evaluation and now at least for the wac positions my evaluation is symmetric between white and black(did not check symmetry between left and right)

Uri
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

bob wrote: I'd be willing to bet that a plain divide will not noticably affect his overall search speed. And it will solve this correctly.
Idiv is still quite expensive (idiv r32/imm ~18-42 cycles on core2 duo) - but if seldomly used it does not hurt. Anyway, vc2005 seems aware of that trick:

int idiv8&#40;int x&#41;
&#123;
   return x / 8;
&#125;

mov  eax, ecx
  cdq
  and  edx, 7
  add  eax, edx
  sar  eax, 3
bob

Post by bob »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
bob wrote: I'd be willing to bet that a plain divide will not noticably affect his overall search speed. And it will solve this correctly.
Idiv is still quite expensive (idiv r32/imm ~18-42 cycles on core2 duo) - but if seldomly used it does not hurt. Anyway, vc2005 seems aware of that trick:

int idiv8&#40;int x&#41;
&#123;
   return x / 8;
&#125;

mov  eax, ecx
  cdq
  and  edx, 7
  add  eax, edx
  sar  eax, 3
The thing is it interlaces nicely with other instructions around it... I have been using several divides in my code to scale parts of the evaluation, and it made absolutely no difference in my NPS...
sje

Post by sje »

bob wrote:I'd be willing to bet that a plain divide will not noticably affect his overall search speed. And it will solve this correctly.
Agreed. Furthermore, a decent optimizing compiler will code a power of two division as a right shift where it is possible (and correct) to do so.