Participants WCCC 2007

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

GS

Re: Participants WCCC 2007

Post by GS »

Guetti wrote:
GS wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... 173&lang=6

Now we are already 10. Another big iron - puhh

GridChess by Kai Himstedt and Ulf Lorenz
Thomas Gaksch Toga parts
Fabien Letouzey Fruit parts
Robert Hyatt Crafty parts

No idea whether the Sleep In still exist, but no need to take an expensive hotel. There are nice camping sites near by.
Come on guys, take a week off, register and come to Amsterdam and lets have a huge computer chess party.

Cheers,
Gerd
Hi Gerd,

I did not know that Fruit plus 2 Fruit derivates are allowed in
a WCC event?

Cheers,
Guenther
You probably misunderstood, there is only one new entry, Gridchess, which is based on Crafty, Fruit, and Toga:

GridChess is composed of two major components: 1) The proxy chess engine (Crafty based) performs no tree search itself but has some kind of a master role to control the optimistic pondering with distributed worker clients. As a simplified explanation of optimistic pondering here, one can imagine the worker clients forming a pondering pipeline with expected opponent moves extracting this information from the principal variations provided by the chess engines. 2) Real chess engines (controlled by distributed worker clients), Fruit/Toga based, parallelized with Young Brothers Wait Concept (YBWC). This way a combination of two parallel concepts was realized building the complete GridChess system: The parallel Fruit/Toga base engines using the YBWC may run on high performance clusters, each cluster representing a worker client for the proxy chess engine. Several such clusters are then used for an asynchronous distributed game-tree search with the optimistic pondering method.
You are right, I missread it as 4 new entries.

Regards,
Guenther
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Guetti wrote: Yes, come on guys, strip toghether some parts of glaurung, scorpio and fruit and off you go to the WCCC. :lol:
Yes, GridChess already played in Paderborn - even during some rounds with a commercial book. It seems a kind of super-clone, but they did original improvements with YBW-fruit/toga which should be GPL open source as well, and Kai's original optimistic pondering cluster approach - described in a paper of some recent ICGA-journal, iirr. Since all co-authors are mentioned and should have given their permission - and no other of the mentioned programs participate - it is ok for me but I am not entirely shure about the more ambitious participants like Vincent.

My appeal to participate was of course not ment as an suggestion to clone some open source engine, but to all programmers of original engines to come to Amsterdam. I know, specially if you are commercial or semi-commercial, the entry-fee is already stunning, not to mention the costs for travel, accommodation and taking vacation so short. Therefor the idea for some computer chess camp in the surrounding area.

I specially like to see Zappa, Hiarcs, Junior, Tiger, Glaurung, Scorpio, Spike, Ikarus, ParSOS, to mention a few, and of course more local and hopefully a few weaker entries from the Netherlands.

Cheers,
Gerd
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Guetti wrote:

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

No idea whether the Sleep In still exist, but no need to take an expensive hotel. There are nice camping sites near by.
Come on guys, take a week off, register and come to Amsterdam and lets have a huge computer chess party.

Cheers,
Gerd
Yes, come on guys, strip toghether some parts of glaurung, scorpio and fruit and off you go to the WCCC. :lol:
If the target is to participate then it is easier to write an weak engine and if the target is to win then I believe that rybka is favourite and gridchess does not have big chances to win.

I guess shredder has also better chances than grid

Uri
bob

Post by bob »

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd
what is the "Crafty parts" about???
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

bob wrote:

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd

It seems no author's of the chessengines above know about this project or give the permission to use it. Somebody asked Fabien ?

Best,
Daniel
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

bob wrote:

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd
As mentioned in the short description, Crafty has the master role to control the optimistic pondering. They didn't ask you for permission? I am not sure about your license policy and the exact rules of the ICGA, but according to my naive standards I would reckon that asking for permission is required. Same for Fabien and Thomas with source under GPL.

http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/p ... 520&lang=6
Description given in 2007:

GridChess is composed of two major components: 1) The proxy chess engine (Crafty based) performs no tree search itself but has some kind of a master role to control the optimistic pondering with distributed worker clients. As a simplified explanation of optimistic pondering here, one can imagine the worker clients forming a pondering pipeline with expected opponent moves extracting this information from the principal variations provided by the chess engines. 2) Real chess engines (controlled by distributed worker clients), Fruit/Toga based, parallelized with Young Brothers Wait Concept (YBWC). This way a combination of two parallel concepts was realized building the complete GridChess system: The parallel Fruit/Toga base engines using the YBWC may run on high performance clusters, each cluster representing a worker client for the proxy chess engine. Several such clusters are then used for an asynchronous distributed game-tree search with the optimistic pondering method.
Guetti

Post by Guetti »

bob wrote:

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd
I apperars you registered to the WCCC:

http://216.25.93.108/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 11&t=13931

You didn't know?
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
bob wrote:

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd

It seems no author's of the chessengines above know about this project or give the permission to use it. Somebody asked Fabien ?

Best,
Daniel
I highly doubt it -- he is probably one of the computer chess world's "most difficult" persons to get ahold of.

It seems to me that this entry should be canceled by ICGA.

-elc.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Since when is one allowed to enter a non-original work into the WCCC?

If this engine has parts from many other engines it should _not_ be allowed to participate. It is simply not an original engine.

What is to stop someone of just completely cloning an engine and entering it under a different name? Obviously nothing by the ICGA's rules.

When are the idiots at the ICGA actually going to do something useful? Or is money the only thing they care about?

Just when you thought you have seen everything...
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

you don't know that YOU participate?????

:-)