Chris's Crafty Computer Chess Campaign

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Chris's Crafty Computer Chess Campaign

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Or the CCCCC for short......is devoted to bringing you the best at this years WCCC.

Never let it be said that a former world champion chess engine should not participate because a mere ocean is in the way.

So much so that the donation fund has reached the 25 euro entry fee and not before time. June 1st to be precise....

Now all that is required is an operator, a computer in the Amsterdam area, a little permission and Bob's your auntie as they say.

Christopher

(This solution was provided by The Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Computer Chess Through Clones. That's the SPCCTC for short)

:wink:
Christopher Conkie

Well I liked it..........

Christopher Conkie wrote:Or the CCCCC for short......is devoted to bringing you the best at this years WCCC.

Never let it be said that a former world champion chess engine should not participate because a mere ocean is in the way.

So much so that the donation fund has reached the 25 euro entry fee and not before time. June 1st to be precise....

Now all that is required is an operator, a computer in the Amsterdam area, a little permission and Bob's your auntie as they say.

Christopher

(This solution was provided by The Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Computer Chess Through Clones. That's the SPCCTC for short)

Obviously everyone still has head firmly placed in the darker regions of this world......
Christopher Conkie

Bob Bob Bob ....Crafty can play at WCCC....

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Or the CCCCC for short......is devoted to bringing you the best at this years WCCC.

Christopher

Obviously everyone still has head firmly placed in the darker regions of this world......
Would you like that?
Christopher Conkie

Obviously to enter we must show that crafty is not a clone..

Christopher

Would you like that?
Like all others of course....but i am confident that crafty will pass this test.....
bob

Re: Bob Bob Bob ....Crafty can play at WCCC....

Post by bob »

Christopher

Would you like that?
The problem is time. It takes time to (a) make travel arrangements that don't cost a fortune (b) make arrangements for reasonable hardware (as I have done with AMD in past years); (c) to prepare a reasonable opening book for the event; (d) to test and tune for the event, rather than making daily changes that are not always good...

This kind of event really needs 6 months advance notice for proper planning. I can't imagine not being able to provide that for a WCCC type event. We used to have a year or more advanced notice...
Christopher Conkie

If Crafty plays at WCCC then........

bob wrote:

Christopher

Would you like that?
The problem is time. It takes time to (a) make travel arrangements that don't cost a fortune (b) make arrangements for reasonable hardware (as I have done with AMD in past years); (c) to prepare a reasonable opening book for the event; (d) to test and tune for the event, rather than making daily changes that are not always good...

This kind of event really needs 6 months advance notice for proper planning. I can't imagine not being able to provide that for a WCCC type event. We used to have a year or more advanced notice...
I was thinking about more about the principle of entering just to get GridChess out.

Christopher
bob

Re: If Crafty plays at WCCC then........

Post by bob »

bob wrote:

Christopher

Would you like that?

I was thinking about more about the principle of entering just to get GridChess out.

Christopher
I'm not sure that would matter. Remember that Gunda-1 (an absolute copy of Crafty with a very few tiny changes) was allowed to participate in the 1996 or 1997 WMCCC event (whichever was held in Jakarta I think). Even though Crafty was also entered. Both finished with identical scores if I remember.
Christopher Conkie

bob wrote:
bob wrote:

Christopher

Would you like that?

Christopher
I'm not sure that would matter. Remember that Gunda-1 (an absolute copy of Crafty with a very few tiny changes) was allowed to participate in the 1996 or 1997 WMCCC event (whichever was held in Jakarta I think). Even though Crafty was also entered. Both finished with identical scores if I remember.
If this GridChess thing plays like Fruit it gets disqualified according to their rules.

Do you think they will uphold their own rules at the ICGA?

Christopher
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Why do you care so much about the participation of Gridchess? Even after they said it was not an original engine, and the only reason for comepting was for academic purposes. I will chip in 50 dolla if Bob wants to go compete.