Deep Sjeng 2.5 under Arena

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Deep Sjeng 2.5 under Arena

Post by Graham Banks »

I normally set my Arena tournaments up so that the engines unload and Arena restarts after each game.
However, when I do this, the tournament stalls whenever a Deep Sjeng game comes up because it always asks for the user name and password. :x

I'm using a purchased version of Deep Sjeng 2.5.

I had two choices:
- replace Deep Sjeng and not use it in any Arena tournaments
- untick the "unload engines after each game" box

I've tried the second option, so I'll see whether I have any further problems.
David Dahlem

Re: Deep Sjeng 2.5 under Arena

Post by David Dahlem »

Graham Banks wrote:I normally set my Arena tournaments up so that the engines unload and Arena restarts after each game.
However, when I do this, the tournament stalls whenever a Deep Sjeng game comes up because it always asks for the user name and password. :x

I'm using a purchased version of Deep Sjeng 2.5.

I had two choices:
- replace Deep Sjeng and not use it in any Arena tournaments
- untick the "unload engines after each game" box

I've tried the second option, so I'll see whether I have any further problems.
I've never had any problems with Deep Sjeng 2.5 in Arena. I was only asked for a password once, the first time i ran it. I also use the "unload engines after each game" option. I only restart Arena after 25 games. If i understand you correctly, you restart Arena after each game? Why is this necessary?

Regards
Dave
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

[quote="David Dahlem]
I've never had any problems with Deep Sjeng 2.5 in Arena. I was only asked for a password once, the first time i ran it. I also use the "unload engines after each game" option. I only restart Arena after 25 games. If i understand you correctly, you restart Arena after each game? Why is this necessary?

Regards
Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave,

I thought it would be the safest thing to do as I've had problems in the past with some engines failing to unload correctly.

Regards, Graham.

PS - Deep Sjeng 2.5 has been causing problems under the Chessbase and Shredder GUIs also, failing to initialise correctly for games.
However, this doesn't stall the tournaments as it does under Arena.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

If you are using the purchased version, open it in console mode and enter your name and the password. Until then you will have the pop up message. I had the same problem until I bought mine. If you check my old posts you can verify that for yourself. I did hear that the problem didnt occur under chessbase for unregistered users.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:If you are using the purchased version, open it in console mode and enter your name and the password. Until then you will have the pop up message. I had the same problem until I bought mine. If you check my old posts you can verify that for yourself. I did hear that the problem didnt occur under chessbase for unregistered users.
I did this Tony, but the problems still occur. :(

I'm going to keep the "restart engines after each game" ticked, but I'll set "restart Arena" to "after 160 games" which will be after the tournament finishes.

Regards, Graham.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:If you are using the purchased version, open it in console mode and enter your name and the password. Until then you will have the pop up message. I had the same problem until I bought mine. If you check my old posts you can verify that for yourself. I did hear that the problem didnt occur under chessbase for unregistered users.
I did this Tony, but the problems still occur. :(

I'm going to keep the "restart engines after each game" ticked, but I'll set "restart Arena" to "after 160 games" which will be after the tournament finishes.

Regards, Graham.
If it is still giving the username warning, that means it isnt activated yet. If I were you, I would contact GCP.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote: If it is still giving the username warning, that means it isnt activated yet. If I were you, I would contact GCP.
I might have to.

When I doubleclick on the exe and open it in console mode, it tells me it's unregistered, but when I type uci then press enter, it tells me it's registered.

Also when I run it under its own GUI it tells me it's registered.
Perhaps I should uninstall and then reinstall.

Graham.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote: If it is still giving the username warning, that means it isnt activated yet. If I were you, I would contact GCP.
I might have to.

When I doubleclick on the exe and open it in console mode, it tells me it's unregistered, but when I type uci then press enter, it tells me it's registered.

Also when I run it under its own GUI it tells me it's registered.
Perhaps I should uninstall and then reinstall.

Graham.
Did you download it from the link that they provided you? Also if you are not in the admin mode, it will keep asking you for a password. I had that problem with Hiarcs before, and I eventually solved it by allowing my brother to login with the admin account. :wink:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote: Did you download it from the link that they provided you?
Yes.
Tony Thomas wrote:Also if you are not in the admin mode, it will keep asking you for a password. I had that problem with Hiarcs before, and I eventually solved it by allowing my brother to login with the admin account. :wink:
I'm already in admin mode.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Graham Banks wrote: I'm going to keep the "restart engines after each game" ticked, but I'll set "restart Arena" to "after 160 games" which will be after the tournament finishes.
Just to let those interested know that this has solved the problem! :D