Intel to remove the need for mutiprocessor support?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leto

Intel to remove the need for mutiprocessor support?

Post by Leto »

Apparently Intel wants to remove the need for programmers to implement multiprocessor support for applications. According to this article posted June 18, 2007, Intel is developing an Exoskeleton technology which tricks the OS into thinking the multicore chips are actually just single processors.

So let's say you have two 16-core chips, Intel's new technology would fool the OS into thinking you have just one core while benefiting from all 32 cores.

Seems to me like this technology, if it works, would be extremely helpful for chess engines, anyone agree? No longer would a programmer need to optimise the code for multiprocessor support, the engine would get 100% benefit from all 32 cores, etc. Here's the article:
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32503/115/
Tony

Re: Intel to remove the need for mutiprocessor support?

Post by Tony »

Leto wrote:Apparently Intel wants to remove the need for programmers to implement multiprocessor support for applications. According to this article posted June 18, 2007, Intel is developing an Exoskeleton technology which tricks the OS into thinking the multicore chips are actually just single processors.

So let's say you have two 16-core chips, Intel's new technology would fool the OS into thinking you have just one core while benefiting from all 32 cores.

Seems to me like this technology, if it works, would be extremely helpful for chess engines, anyone agree? No longer would a programmer need to optimise the code for multiprocessor support, the engine would get 100% benefit from all 32 cores, etc. Here's the article:
I don't think so. I think it would just make it easier to add some sort of multiprocessing.

To me it sound more like an automated OpenMP, wich would then mainly be used to fe unroll loops over several processors.

Nothing close (performance wise) to splitting your own tree.

Tony
bob

Post by bob »

Leto wrote:Apparently Intel wants to remove the need for programmers to implement multiprocessor support for applications. According to this article posted June 18, 2007, Intel is developing an Exoskeleton technology which tricks the OS into thinking the multicore chips are actually just single processors.

It won't help a chess engine at all, unless the engine is parallel. This idea is not related to parallel search at all. It is an attempt to integrate lots of "things" (cpu core, graphics core, floating point core (accelerator) and such) into a unified "look". It won't help make a serial chess program use multiple CPU cores at all...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

If it works anything OpenMP. so far I hsve seen limited returns for most chess engines , although I suspect that could be improved.

smp reagrds,

Michael B
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I guess that you will get 30% of the processor power if it is taken out of your hands. That is fine if you want your program to coexist nicely with lots of other processes but a problem if you want the last ounce of strength.