Was there ever a response to this ....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Was there ever a response to this ....

Post by AdminX »

Was there ever a response to the Rybka $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Key Points:

"In the spirit of open competition, I am formally offering a $100,000 computer chess challenge from Rybka to FIDE, who will be represented by the winner of the Ultimate Computer Chess Challenge 2007. My challenge consists of a 24 game match, at classical time controls, on unlimited hardware and with unlimited opening books, held at 2 games per day over twelve days, with Rybka giving a handicap of one point plus draw odds and thus requiring a score of 13/24 or better to win the match. The prize fund of $100,000 should be a winner-takes-all, loser-pays-all proposition. The remaining details can be worked out in private."

http://www.chess-players.org/eng/news/v ... tml?id=646
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Was there ever a response to this ....

Post by hgm »

Well, what do you think?

Someone wants to bet you that you can't role double 6 with two dice on the first try, for $10. Would you take it?

Now he proposes you to bet $100,000. What would you think of him?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

hgm wrote:Well, what do you think?

Someone wants to bet you that you can't role double 6 with two dice on the first try, for $10. Would you take it?

Now he proposes you to bet $100,000. What would you think of him?
Well since you asked ...

1st I wonder if team Rybka has $100,000 to spear? If so maybe I should give my hand at Chess Programing. 8-)

2nd At those odds if I were Chessbase I would take that bet. :roll:

3rd Either way looks like FIDE wins to me. :P

PS: I guess we could call the event "Take Vas Money" :idea:
Last edited by AdminX on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Mike S. »

One difference between a simple bet and this match challenge is - if I understand it correctly - that sponsor(s) would have to pay the $ 100,000, or most of it, not the participants themselves. What's not clear to me is, if both parties would have to put 100,000 $ at stake or $ 50,000, each. But anyway, the open letter and the challenge can be seen as a first proposal and start of negotiations (only).

Also, we do not know if the Junior team estimates their chances against Rybka as bad as roling a double 6 on the first try. :mrgreen: I am almost sure that they are much more optimistic.

If there will be an agreement about that match, I would be surprised if they really play two classical tc games per day, over twelve days. That sounds a bit too tough, or at least very unusual.
Regards, Mike
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, "winner takes all, loser pays all" seems quite unambiguous to me. The team that loses has to cough up k$100.

Sponsors are not mentioned, nor requested. If this is seen as an effort to make the FIDE look for a sponsor, Vas would still carry the risk for his part of the bargain himself.

As for the chance: the ratings are known quite well, aren't they. If there is a 100 pt difference as Vas claims, he should get a 64% score, or 15.4 pts over 24 games. That is 4.65 pts above the 10.75 that means the boundary between winning and losing. The standard deviation over 24 games is about 2 pts. So the opponent should do 2 standard deviations or better above the expectation. The probability for this is 2.3%.

They'd better go for the dice...
nuff

Post by nuff »

Perhaps Ted you could email FIDE to ask them. From posts on the rybka forum/here I got the impression that :-

- FIDE made some kind of acknowledgement to Vas
- A Chessbase sysop said that Vas should concentrate on the chess (freestyle) not writing open letters. A sysop's opinion is not necessarily that of Chessbase that is why the likes of Stickles can say whatever they want.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

nuff wrote:Perhaps Ted you could email FIDE to ask them. From posts on the rybka forum/here I got the impression that :-

- FIDE made some kind of acknowledgement to Vas
- A Chessbase sysop said that Vas should concentrate on the chess (freestyle) not writing open letters. A sysop's opinion is not necessarily that of Chessbase that is why the likes of Stickles can say whatever they want.
So then I take it, that this is not going to happen. :( So sad really, I would have loved to watch the event. This is to Computer Chess, what the Kasparov vs Kramnik rematch was to human chess for me. "Not Happening". Oh well, thanks for the replies.

Post by Mike S. »

It is much too early for conclusions that it will happen, or not. If I got it right, the first match was mainly (or to important parts) based on an initiative by the FIDE president himself, who also cared for the prize money. So, if he liked the first match, I can imagine that he would also like a second match. The World Championship Tournament in Mexico is scheduled for September 12th-30th. A computer chess match in the supporting programme could increase the advertising value of the event, for IT sponsors.
Regards, Mike
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Yes, the silence was deafening.
Titu

Post by Titu »

AdminX wrote:Was there ever a response to the Rybka $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Key Points:

"In the spirit of open competition, I am formally offering a $100,000 computer chess challenge from Rybka to FIDE, who will be represented by the winner of the Ultimate Computer Chess Challenge 2007. My challenge consists of a 24 game match, at classical time controls, on unlimited hardware and with unlimited opening books, held at 2 games per day over twelve days, with Rybka giving a handicap of one point plus draw odds and thus requiring a score of 13/24 or better to win the match. The prize fund of $100,000 should be a winner-takes-all, loser-pays-all proposition. The remaining details can be worked out in private."

http://www.chess-players.org/eng/news/v ... tml?id=646
Have a look here:
http://www.fide.com/news/download/Talli ... unique.pdf

"..to consider the organization of
another computer challenge match between Rybka and Deep Junior in Mexico City."