Poll on moderation

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Do you find moderation as it is applied by the current moderators satisfactory?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Yes, I would like them to continue for one more year
43%
No, I would like to have elections and get different moderators as soon as possible
30%
I don't care one way or another
26%

Total votes: 53

Mike S.

Re: Poll on moderation

Post by Mike S. »

Tony Thomas wrote:You have to log in to see the CTF, it is invisible to guests.
This is a very good decision! (I didn't notice it yet, too, although I log in only if required but usually I go directly into the General Topics forum.)

Was it always like that or has it been configured that way just recently?
Regards, Mike
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Mike S. wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:You have to log in to see the CTF, it is invisible to guests.
This is a very good decision! (I didn't notice it yet, too, although I log in only if required but usually I go directly into the General Topics forum.)

Was it always like that or has it been configured that way just recently?
Hi Mike,

It is a recent thing. If you go CTF and read the stickies there are more details.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Enir wrote:Last moderator elections took place a long time ago. Is it alright with you to keep having the same team of moderators?

Enrique

The current moderators have done a very fine job and are to be commended. It is also time to have an elections, it is way overdue under the rules - but I am ok with having longer 12 month terms as a standard anyway.

Keep democracy alive regards,

Michael B
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

[quote="Tony Thomas]

You have to log in to see the CTF, it is invisible to guests.[/quote]

Bravo -- it is best to keep CTF as invisible as possible to outsiders. It was created as a conduit ( a release valve really) to keep those who cannot help but spew their non mainstream venom on a daily basis and keep CCC for the more pleasant types. I acknowledge this a broad generalization - but it is what it is.
Enir

Post by Enir »

MikeB wrote:[quote="Tony Thomas]

You have to log in to see the CTF, it is invisible to guests.

Bravo -- it is best to keep CTF as invisible as possible to outsiders. It was created as a conduit ( a release valve really) to keep those who cannot help but spew their non mainstream venom on a daily basis and keep CCC for the more pleasant types. I acknowledge this a broad generalization - but it is what it is.
[/quote]

Engine room in Playchess is meant to collect debris and free main hall from it. But are you sure that CTF was designed like this? By now it looks like it, but once upon a time it was a more interesting place.

Enrique
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Enir wrote: Engine room in Playchess is meant to collect debris and free main hall from it.
Debris?! They are computer chess enthusiasts and probably are among the best customers. Their engine sport can seem very extreme sometimes, but that is their way to have fun on a chess server.

Other servers don't have a room concept, but you can for example select only (C) computer accounts as opponents for your computer account, or avoid them to play only human accounts, with the formula. The effect is more or less the same. There are also filter options for players lists, etc.
Regards, Mike
Enir

Post by Enir »

Mike S. wrote:
Enir wrote: Engine room in Playchess is meant to collect debris and free main hall from it.
Debris?! They are computer chess enthusiasts and probably are among the best customers. Their engine sport can seem very extreme sometimes, but that is their way to have fun on a chess server.

Other servers don't have a room concept, but you can for example select only (C) computer accounts as opponents for your computer account, or avoid them to play only human accounts, with the formula. The effect is more or less the same. There are also filter options for players lists, etc.
Agreed. But your post doesn't contradict mine.

Enrique
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Graham Banks wrote:
Enir wrote:Last moderator elections took place a long time ago. Is it alright with you to keep having the same team of moderators?

Enrique
We were not elected for life. Elections are overdue.

I have suggested the possibility of running them ourselves if the forum owner agrees. See here:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14786

I also posted in the moderators' subforum to get the views of the other mods on this, but so far none have commented.

Regards, Graham.
I hadn't checked the Mod forum, so was unaware. In any case, yes, elections are long overdue. Still, the job has gotten a LOT easier since we no longer have to deal with the spammer sign-ups.

Albert
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Albert Silver wrote:Still, the job has gotten a LOT easier since we no longer have to deal with the spammer sign-ups.

Albert
Indeed - much kudos must go to Quentin for taking over that responsibilty.
The only issue that hasn't been addressed is the disappearance of threads after a given period of time.

Regards, Graham.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Enrique
I think that an even more important question is:
"Is it alright with them?"