Time for Being The Nice Guy Is Over

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Re: Time for Being The Nice Guy Is Over

Post by gerold »

geots wrote:I have met a lot of people on this forum, and consider many of you good friends. And my true friends will remain so. I like this forum very much, and i have seen it evolve over time into something even better. But what i see right now disturbes me. There is a concerted effort by a very small handful of people to do their best to see to it that Graham Banks is not re-elected as moderator. I have never seen a moderator, and their have been some good ones, any better or more dedicated to his job than Graham. A small handful of people can look like a lot if they post over, and over and over. But i am not worried, because i think the general membership on this forum is way to educated and savvy to fall for any of their bullshit. Is Graham perfect? Hell no- Ive never met a mod, or anyone on this forum who was. But i can tell you one thing- he is as dedicated to this forum and adamant about doing a good job as mod. to make this forum an even better place as anyone i have ever seen. I do not make this post because we are members of the same testing team. That means nothing here. Up to you to believe me or not. I make this post because Graham is more of an easygoing, patient type of guy- who thinks each person ought to be treated the way he would like for them to treat him. Im definitely more of an "in your face" kind of guy. But here i am in no ones face- but its time for the gloves to come off and defend Graham. And by God, im doing it. If he is willing to run again, and we dont elect him, then we are all the losers. If you dont want to vote for Graham- vote for your choices. That is a right we all have. But please, all i ask is that no one let their decision be influenced by a few people who will go to any lengths to keep him out. That would be truly sad.

Regards and Best To You All- Each and Everyone,

George
Thanks for you putting it on the line George. That other forum
will more than lilkly die out after the election is over. Their bull
stinks. :) :) :)

Computer chess will continue to grow and ccc and ctf will still
be the main and good forums they have always been. No
amount of attack on this forum and the good members and
mods will change that. We all know who is behind the crap.

Gerold.

P.S. If people wish to cheap in computer chess in tourneys they
will always fine a way to do so and try and tear down the good
people in it.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Hi George,

I expect I'll be voting for Graham and Steve. Flaps arise. Reasonable people can work them out.

Best
Dan H.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

The best IMO I can tell about Graham is this. He is for me the one who is writing and informing us about details a normal user couldnt know. Example: yesterday he wrote that the mods and not only the admin would always see who is reading the forum and with what IP. Whether the reader is logged in for writing or not! Whether the user has de-activated that the forum is seeing his presence or not. That was very new to some here me included.

In other words, Graham is someone who's informing about the details of his potential as a mod. This is such a deep habit for him that he always adds something about his motivation when he's telling you something neccessary. This makes it very easy to follow his proposed lines. That doesnt mean at all that Graham is faultless. But what does this mean in combination with his mentioned habit? If everything is kept in the open?

To me the best trio would be Byrne, Banks, Hyatt. Actually I dont run this time. <g>
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote: May be you should bring to light the extremist views of Thorsten and the other garbage posts he makes at CTF. Mud slingling should be part of any election I say.
Thorsten should be judged purely on his performance as a CCC mod, not on his personal views on life issues.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Rolf wrote:The best IMO I can tell about Graham is this. He is for me the one who is writing and informing us about details a normal user couldnt know. Example: yesterday he wrote that the mods and not only the admin would always see who is reading the forum and with what IP. Whether the reader is logged in for writing or not! Whether the user has de-activated that the forum is seeing his presence or not. That was very new to some here me included.

In other words, Graham is someone who's informing about the details of his potential as a mod. This is such a deep habit for him that he always adds something about his motivation when he's telling you something neccessary. This makes it very easy to follow his proposed lines. That doesnt mean at all that Graham is faultless. But what does this mean in combination with his mentioned habit? If everything is kept in the open?

To me the best trio would be Byrne, Banks, Hyatt. Actually I dont run this time. <g>
Yes a very good choice. However Byrne and Hyatt has not excepted
yet. Banks for sure.
I would like to see Hyatt run.

Gerold.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote: May be you should bring to light the extremist views of Thorsten and the other garbage posts he makes at CTF. Mud slingling should be part of any election I say.
Thorsten should be judged purely on his performance as a CCC mod, not on his personal views on life issues.
I agree Graham. Thorsten is very good Mod.

Gerold.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Graham Banks wrote:
PM included?
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
geots

Post by geots »

Steve B wrote:i want to make it clear once again that i am IN NO WAY a part of any concerted effort to discredit anyone..if one even exists which i highly doubt

while i stand in direct opposition to Banks candidacy it is chiefly because i simply think we should have new mods and not the same one for what will amount to 4 years after this new term is finished

let the man stand based upon his track record as mod here and not by virtue of a sympathy vote or recent position reversals on his part

Steve

I was not real enthusiastic about bringing this post back to the top of the page. I said what i felt- and did not want to comment further. But i feel it very necessary to point out that Steve Blincoe, as he says, stands in direct opposition to Grahams re-election. I disagree with him strongly on this issue, but at least he was man enough to come out and state his feelings- withoug pulling any punches. The small group i was referring to in my original post- none of them would have had the guts to do that.
This is my last on the subject- please no one ask me to clarify anything any further. Im outta here. Good Day.

Regards,
bob

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
Steve B wrote:i want to make it clear once again that i am IN NO WAY a part of any concerted effort to discredit anyone..if one even exists which i highly doubt

while i stand in direct opposition to Banks candidacy it is chiefly because i simply think we should have new mods and not the same one for what will amount to 4 years after this new term is finished

let the man stand based upon his track record as mod here and not by virtue of a sympathy vote or recent position reversals on his part

Steve

I was not real enthusiastic about bringing this post back to the top of the page. I said what i felt- and did not want to comment further. But i feel it very necessary to point out that Steve Blincoe, as he says, stands in direct opposition to Grahams re-election. I disagree with him strongly on this issue, but at least he was man enough to come out and state his feelings- withoug pulling any punches. The small group i was referring to in my original post- none of them would have had the guts to do that.
This is my last on the subject- please no one ask me to clarify anything any further. Im outta here. Good Day.

Regards,
I don't see the reason for the childish games... "I know who they are, don't ask me to name names.." sort of thing.

If you have a point to make, make it. But without the obfuscation... Otherwise it isn't worth bringing up if you can't complete the statement...
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Graham is very dedicated, my first vote will be for him.
Just an opinion: I don´t like edited posts, I think that
the posts have to be deleted.

Graham !!!

Paulo Soares