Just recieved the Solaris 10 OS from Sun Micro Systems, FREE

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Just recieved the Solaris 10 OS from Sun Micro Systems, FREE

Post by Michael Sherwin »

And it comes with various development tools like C/C++ and Java. It is a 32 bit or 64 bit OS depending upon the hardware that it is installed on. If the Sun C\C++ compiler can produce executables as fast as the Intel and Microshit compilers then I may do my development on a Solaris box, but do the release compiles on a Microshit box. Does anyone know anything about Solaris and if this is feasible?

I still can not find a place to buy XP 64 bit OS, so I bought Vista only to read on the bottom of the box that the 64 bit OS was not included. I had to order it from Microshit and spend another $10.60 to have it shipped to me. And then I do not even know if it will work well or not.

I hate Microshit and will never forgive them for not giving us the ability to compile and run 64 bit programs in a timely manner. They could have just came out with a 64 bit windows extender in a few months that would have allowed 32 bit device drivers to function and 64 bit programs to run. That is if they cared at all about the little guy, however, it is obvious that they do not! :evil:

Could Solaris be a viable alternative? Does anyone know?
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Michael Sherwin

Re: Just recieved the Solaris 10 OS from Sun Micro Systems,

And since I am in a ranting mood, I would like to know why any operating system would require a computer with 500 megabytes of memory. Windows 95 ran in 8 MB. Does it really take 62.5 times as much memory to run a 64 bit OS? Was it really neccessary that XP 32 require 128 MB? What is Microshits angle for doing this? So, if I want the latest OS then I have to have the latest hardware to run it. Does Microshit own the computer manufacturers? What is the logic here? I would really like some insight on this.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Why not download a Linux distribution like 64-bit Fedora and use the Intel compiler and Eclipse for development?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think I remember something about Vista having major features based on .NET, and .NET can eat a lot of memory,...

http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/dotnet/vistaAndDotnet.htm

Never mind, only "4%" managed,... I'll side with your conspiracy theory :?
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

I use FC7 on my development computer. For me any flavor POSIX OS is fine. I must say that Fedora Core is a great Linux distro though.
Michael Sherwin

Jacob wrote:Why not download a Linux distribution like 64-bit Fedora and use the Intel compiler and Eclipse for development?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think I remember something about Vista having major features based on .NET, and .NET can eat a lot of memory,...

http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/dotnet/vistaAndDotnet.htm

Never mind, only "4%" managed,... I'll side with your conspiracy theory :?
Good idea! I heard that the Intel Linux compiler was free. I just never put two and two together, stupid me! :oops: One problem though, I only have a slow dial-up connection, so I wonder if Intel will mail a DVD for a nominal charge. Well I gues that it is time to get a faster connection anyway. 8-)
bob

Post by bob »

Michael Sherwin wrote:And it comes with various development tools like C/C++ and Java. It is a 32 bit or 64 bit OS depending upon the hardware that it is installed on. If the Sun C\C++ compiler can produce executables as fast as the Intel and Microshit compilers then I may do my development on a Solaris box, but do the release compiles on a Microshit box. Does anyone know anything about Solaris and if this is feasible?

I still can not find a place to buy XP 64 bit OS, so I bought Vista only to read on the bottom of the box that the 64 bit OS was not included. I had to order it from Microshit and spend another $10.60 to have it shipped to me. And then I do not even know if it will work well or not.

I hate Microshit and will never forgive them for not giving us the ability to compile and run 64 bit programs in a timely manner. They could have just came out with a 64 bit windows extender in a few months that would have allowed 32 bit device drivers to function and 64 bit programs to run. That is if they cared at all about the little guy, however, it is obvious that they do not! :evil:

Could Solaris be a viable alternative? Does anyone know?
I'd take linux any day. We used to have sun workstations here. The last were removed about 6 months ago. Somebody giving you a free copy of solaris is like someone giving you a 1942 buick with no useful parts and with all body panels completely rusted out. You didn't get much in the deal.

You get more tools free with linux than you can actually buy with solaris. And it all runs faster to boot and offers far more compatibility with other unix platforms.

The DVD's will make nice Christmas tree ornaments, nothing more...
bob

Post by bob »

Michael Sherwin wrote:And since I am in a ranting mood, I would like to know why any operating system would require a computer with 500 megabytes of memory. Windows 95 ran in 8 MB. Does it really take 62.5 times as much memory to run a 64 bit OS? Was it really neccessary that XP 32 require 128 MB? What is Microshits angle for doing this? So, if I want the latest OS then I have to have the latest hardware to run it. Does Microshit own the computer manufacturers? What is the logic here? I would really like some insight on this.
The bad news is that solaris is not completely 64 bit, or at least it was not the last time we tested it. They still had tons of 32 bit system processes running...
Michael Sherwin

Thx! As soon as I upgrade my internet connection I will switch to linux and the Intel compiler. :D
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

You can get Solaris 10 for free from their website, fits on 1 DVD. Unless you have broadband 4gigs is kinda big. Also there's OpenSolaris.

Though if you want a good (in my oppinion) 64bit OS, I'd go with linux. If you want something that's pretty easy to use, try Ubuntu.

Just my $0.02
-Josh
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

We live in the same state, should only take a day to mail something to you.
If you want I can download and burn and distro you want.

Would offer to do the same with the Intel compilers, but while they do offer them for free for educational useage, I dont think I'd be allowed to burn and distribute.

Haven't checked in a while, but I dont think icc was *that* big. Might be an over-nighter but definitely within 56k range.

-Josh