Wandering trought the barren lands of non professional progs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Wandering trought the barren lands of non professional progs

Post by fern »

I am sure you have, from time to time, as me, navigated in exotic sites or just common downloading locations to see what chess programs they have. Sometimes we tend to believe that the chess universe is just the sum of commercial + the known freeware we see in specialized places. And although this is just enough to populate the landscape with hundreds of engines, in fact there are even more programs out there. Some are commercial, some not. Common to all or almost all of them is that You never get the name of the author. Else: they are extremely weak, fact that could be amazing as much any software house desirous to launch a decent program could, from sure, put a hand on many if not in any of the 100 engines that are more than 2000 elo strong. Seems like they, on purpose, arm his programs with weak engines to give pleasure to the casual player that by chance download them.
Now my question: have you ever found one or two of them worthy of a second look?
I would like to know and see.

My best
Fernando
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: Wandering trought the barren lands of non professional p

Post by Michael Sherwin »

To the author of a really weak chess program that has worked on their creation, maybe for many years, your question could sound rather insulting and hurtful. We can not all say, "let their be a fish". A model to follow is one by Olivier Deville (and others) that include all the weaker engines that they can find and then have a tournament. In the case of Olivier, he even broadcasted the games, so that some authors of really weak programs can have some enjoyment competing with and conversing with each other. So, ask Olivier if he thinks that really weak programs are worth a second look. My thanks to Olivier Deville! :D
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Michael Sherwin wrote:To the author of a really weak chess program that has worked on their creation, maybe for many years, your question could sound rather insulting and hurtful. We can not all say, "let their be a fish". A model to follow is one by Olivier Deville (and others) that include all the weaker engines that they can find and then have a tournament. In the case of Olivier, he even broadcasted the games, so that some authors of really weak programs can have some enjoyment competing with and conversing with each other. So, ask Olivier if he thinks that really weak programs are worth a second look. My thanks to Olivier Deville! :D
I doubt that Fernando meant any offense. He likes playing the weaker engines and has quite often championed their good qualities.
I think he was referring to the stability and playability of some of the weaker engines that are not well known.

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Olivier Deville

Post by Olivier Deville »

Hello Fernando, Mike and all :)

To Fernando : Some chess engines are really weak, this is true... but did you ever try to write a chess engine ? I respect every programmer's work. I test every engine and I like them all.

To Mike : How embarassing :oops: Thanks for the kind words.

Olivier
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

fern wrote:And although this is just enough to populate the landscape with hundreds of engines, in fact there are even more programs out there.
Can you give us any examples?

I think people like Olivier (Chess War), Leo (WBEC) and Guenther (RWBC) really make a great effort to list and lay their hands on any engine they can detect. But if you happen to stumble on anything they have missed so far, I am sure they would be very grateful if you could point them to it.
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

I think he's possibly not talking about those engines that are UCI- or WB-compatible, but all those other programs that perhaps have their own gui and that you can find on compilations etc.

Because for the vast majority of engines the author is known.
fern

Post by fern »

Offense never intended for nobody. I was referring to those programs that are offered almost as a gift or /and cheap commercial ones with no intention to move us, but just to entertain casual players.
Kind of programs you get typing "chess" in Google.

My best
Fernando
GS

Post by GS »

fern wrote:Offense never intended for nobody. I was referring to those programs that are offered almost as a gift or /and cheap commercial ones with no intention to move us, but just to entertain casual players.

My best
Fernando
Why not name a few, if you think they are interesting and (perhaps) unknown?
Have you ever looked here: http://rwbc-chess.de/wb_chron.htm ? ;-)

Guenther
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:Offense never intended for nobody. I was referring to those programs that are offered almost as a gift or /and cheap commercial ones with no intention to move us, but just to entertain casual players.

My best
Fernando
Fernando,a bad boy,again you caused a crisis in the chess community :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

I knew Fern meant no offence. :P I just wanted to liven things up a bit! And to point out the great work by Olivier of helping some of us lesser lights get some enjoyment from our really weak programs. It was a convienant opportunity. :D
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through