[CCB]Division 6,Edition 7: 16 Engines!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which Engines Will gain Promotion to Division 5?(Pick 3)

Poll ended at Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Joker
17%
Rotor
No votes
NOW
11%
Counter
6%
Xpdnt
17%
Flux
6%
Flux
6%
Pupsi
11%
Alichess
6%
Homer
6%
Other
17%

Total votes: 18

swami

Re: [CCB]Division 6,Edition 7: 16 Engines!

Post by swami »

Tony Thomas wrote:Swami, I forgot your game conditions. Are you still using own book?
no opening books used from edition 6 onwards...test suites noomen 100.pgn/sedat 100.pgn randomly...
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

I am tired of losing. I dont think I can win this time either, too many updates, too many outdated engines that arent compatible with my conditions and lots of bad luck. I have to pick Now, then I guess I will pick Counter and Pupsi. I did have good performance from earlier versions of Xpdnt, all the later versions were rather disappointing.
swami

Post by swami »

Tony Thomas wrote:I am tired of losing. I dont think I can win this time either, too many updates, too many outdated engines that arent compatible with my conditions and lots of bad luck. I have to pick Now, then I guess I will pick Counter and Pupsi. I did have good performance from earlier versions of Xpdnt, all the later versions were rather disappointing.
These things happen in a competition, just dont take it seriously as this is just a friendly club game...the game similar to a card game that people play online.Be glad that you could finish 2nd or 3rd most of the time...

by the way may I know which engines you were referring to as "outdated"?
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

swami wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:I am tired of losing. I dont think I can win this time either, too many updates, too many outdated engines that arent compatible with my conditions and lots of bad luck. I have to pick Now, then I guess I will pick Counter and Pupsi. I did have good performance from earlier versions of Xpdnt, all the later versions were rather disappointing.
These things happen in a competition, just dont take it seriously as this is just a friendly club game...the game similar to a card game that people play online.Be glad that you could finish 2nd or 3rd most of the time...
I didnt say that I take it seriously. Just tired of losing that's all. I wish that there were some pytochemicals that would give me awesome chess prediction abilities. :wink:
swami

Post by swami »

Tony Thomas wrote:
swami wrote:
I didnt say that I take it seriously. Just tired of losing that's all. I wish that there were some pytochemicals that would give me awesome chess prediction abilities. :wink:
There's no substitute to hard work, so If you really want to win the division so easily, then I suggest that you run 6 or 7 rounds swiss in Arena with same participants, I usually post the final results in 2 days, and you could get a pretty good idea of the strength of these engines by just running 7 round swiss... :wink: if you dont care one way or another...then let it be way it is... :P
swami

Post by swami »

The tournament has finished after a marathon, i think i will post the results tomorrow when the poll time expires, dont wait for it with the bated breath and Bugchess has arrived, author said that several new features have been added to the new prize version, and that he plans to do major changes in eval and that another version will be ready in 2 months... :)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

BBchess
Joker
Pupsi
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

swami wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
swami wrote:
There's no substitute to hard work, so If you really want to win the division so easily, then I suggest that you run 6 or 7 rounds swiss in Arena with same participants, I usually post the final results in 2 days, and you could get a pretty good idea of the strength of these engines by just running 7 round swiss... :wink: if you dont care one way or another...then let it be way it is... :P
I spelt the word phytochemicals wrong. Swami, the way you suggest is kind of cheating, dont you think? Winning that way cant be all that fun.
swami

Post by swami »

Tony Thomas wrote:
swami wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
swami wrote:
I spelt the word phytochemicals wrong. Swami, the way you suggest is kind of cheating, dont you think? Winning that way cant be all that fun.
huh...?so studying given portions for class cycle tests beforehand is also cheating to you?I dont think so,You could write a test just by understanding the concept in a class a day before or you could study all by yourself practicing at home without giving a damn about the lecture, I think it is called 'practicing', coming prepared with _knowledge_ of level of these engines is the smart way to win, alternative way is referring to the rating lists, as I said results may over turn but not excessively that much though :)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:Swami, the way you suggest is kind of cheating, dont you think? Winning that way cant be all that fun.
No it's not cheating. It's called doing some checking out.
There is no guarantee anybody will win with their picks.
If it's any consolation, I just look at the CCRL 40/40 list. :lol:

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com